Shock Help Please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tailgunner762

Reaction score
I am needing a bit of advice, I plan on putting on a new set of tires on my 1998 stock k1500 z71 in 285/75/16.
I know they will fit with or without a torsion bar level, but I want to level my ride without using the torsion bar method.

To get to the point, is there a shock that can help level my truck, even if its just a little bit, and provide a good ride?
Remember its a stock z71 that I am just want a little bit of ground clearance and how lot better looks.

Thank you!

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shocks have nothing to do with how high or low your truck sits.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I am needing a bit of advice, I plan on putting on a new set of tires on my 1998 stock k1500 z71 in 285/75/16.
I know they will fit with or without a torsion bar level, but I want to level my ride without using the torsion bar method.

To get to the point, is there a shock that can help level my truck, even if its just a little bit, and provide a good ride?
Remember its a stock z71 that I am just want a little bit of ground clearance and how lot better looks.

Thank you!

No there isnt why not crank the toraion bars? It takes 2 minutes shocks have no bearing on how high your truck sits

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
A little torsion bar crank will not ruin your ride. You can also level your truck side to side at the same time. It only starts getting noticably stiffer after you get well past level.

Tailgunner762

Reaction score
How many turns on the torison bars should I crank then to get to level then? And I still need suggestions towards a good shock.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Your gona have to do it and then measure your render heights there no way for anyone to tell you how many turns because no truck is the same i have run procomp and skyjacker shocks i wouldnt recomend skyjacker to my worst enemy

Last edited:

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Turn them a few rounds, then take the truck around the block. Park it and measure the fender wells if you want it exactly level. Keep toying with it til you have it like you want it. 18mm socket and this is way easier to do with the front of the truck jacked up in the center (weight off the suspension)

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
I currently have the Rancho RS5000s, good shocks for a good price.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had Rancho RS5000's on most every 4x4 I have owned, either put on by PO or myself. I have dual Procomp 9000's on current truck. All cheap shocks that get the job done. If your truck is mostly stock and a daily driver then get the shocks that look best to you. You wont likely ever push an aftermarket shock past its limits on a daily driver.