Shift Light Manual Swapped Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I need some help on manual swapped 1993 suburban. I did the swap from a 4l60-e to an NV3500 about a year and a half ago and have slowly acquired parts from the junkyard to make the swap look as factory as possible. I was finally able to get hold of a manual ECM from a local junkyard (16196396-BDTP). Upon closer inspection of the ECM i noticed the PO added an aftermarket chip from JEGS:
https://www.jegs.com/i/JET-Performance/561/29424S/10002/-1
Using an assortment of manuals and online wiring diagrams I was finally able to get the Burb going, now the only thing left is to get the SHIFT UP light to work. I have everything hooked up but the light refuses to come on at any speed. Much help would be appreciated.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need some help on manual swapped 1993 suburban. I did the swap from a 4l60-e to an NV3500 about a year and a half ago and have slowly acquired parts from the junkyard to make the swap look as factory as possible. I was finally able to get hold of a manual ECM from a local junkyard (16196396-BDTP). Upon closer inspection of the ECM i noticed the PO added an aftermarket chip from JEGS:
https://www.jegs.com/i/JET-Performance/561/29424S/10002/-1
Using an assortment of manuals and online wiring diagrams I was finally able to get the Burb going, now the only thing left is to get the SHIFT UP light to work. I have everything hooked up but the light refuses to come on at any speed. Much help would be appreciated.

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but does the cluster have a bulb in it? I know of the F-cars that I have swapped manuals into in the past they were already prewired and merely putting a bulb in the cluster made them work.

Reaction score
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but does the cluster have a bulb in it? I know of the F-cars that I have swapped manuals into in the past they were already prewired and merely putting a bulb in the cluster made them work.
Thanks for the response and bulb is in and I'm guessing the Suburban and other Automatic equipped trucks did not come with the connector to the bulb so I added that in too. I know the light works because when I jump ALDL connector to get it into diagnostic mode the SHIFT UP light illuminates.

mike73

Reaction score
I'd think upshift is based on three things: VSS, engine speed, and clutch engagement. If speedo and tach work, check the clutch switches. Probably the one at the top of the clutch travel, but it wouldn't hurt to check the one at the bottom too

Reaction score
I'd think upshift is based on three things: VSS, engine speed, and clutch engagement. If speedo and tach work, check the clutch switches. Probably the one at the top of the clutch travel, but it wouldn't hurt to check the one at the bottom too
The computer sees VSS and RPM signal, I don't think there's any other switch on the clutch pedal other than the cruise control and neutral safety switch.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never could figure out the reasoning behind the shift light. I guess I always figured if you need the computer to tell you when to shift, you should probably be driving an automatic. I have never driven a Shift up powered vehicle that agreed with me on when the right time to shift was.