SHAVED TAILGATE KIT- WHICH IS THE BEST?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
WANTING TO DO A SHAVED TAILGATE. WHO HAS THE BEST KIT FOR THIS?

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
From my experience, no one really has a "better" kit.. The plate that comes with the kit, for the filler. Isn't that grate for the fact that its flat... No tail gate is flat! Your better off taking a piece of sheet metal off the side of an old door or something that already has the body curves to it.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
The one I bought was a Street Scene kit... as mentioned the tailgate is far from flat. I welded mine in but you could just as easily bond it in with an adhesive made for metal like Lord corporation's "Fusor".

Cutting the back side of the gate isn't hard at all, take your time and use a zip cut wheel on a small grinder or a 3" cut off wheel. Measure twice and cut once! Best to use masking tape or a scribed line to follow.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
Thanks for the info gentlemen. Ordered one kit. Never done this before. Going to be welding soon. Haven't broken an arc in over 10 years. Going to practice on automotive sheetmetal before welding on the tailgate.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Even with a MIG welder, you don't want to weld continuously as that can cause warpage issues. Make short stitch welds and connect them.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Even with a MIG welder, you don't want to weld continuously as that can cause warpage issues. Make short stitch welds and connect them.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
Another question. Concerned about the metal on which the filler plate sits on. Will it rust after I weld the plate in? Seen somebody on youtube spray some sort of copper based spray on before welding the filler plate. Don't want rust building in there afterwards. Should I after lay some silicone on the backside to keep out moisture?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Yes, cover the back side with a seam sealer to prevent rust from starting.