SES flashing / multiple misfires cyl 8 & 4/ got spider at junkyard.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tunedbytuna

Reaction score
The cap & rotor on mine looked about the same. I replaced both. It ran rough when I first started it (rpm's varied a lot), I let it idle for about 20min, then it evened out, I drove it around. It's been running great since. If you've had it apart like you say, a vacuum leak may also be making it harder to solve your misfire issue.

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cap & rotor on mine looked about the same. I replaced both. It ran rough when I first started it (rpm's varied a lot), I let it idle for about 20min, then it evened out, I drove it around. It's been running great since. If you've had it apart like you say, a vacuum leak may also be making it harder to solve your misfire issue.

Thanks. The misfires have stopped. Now it's the MAF sensor, low circuit. I took it to Advance Auto and had them put the computer on it and got MAF sensor low circuit. I went and got some MAF cleaner, the good kind from CRC. Took the MAF out sprayed it and put it back in. But I still have some serging. I will do it again tonight when I get home.

The misfires are all cleaned up with removing the spider and cleaning each injector individually by itself. I took them out one by one took off the black clip thing (most broke, had a salvaved speder from the junkyard) cleaned the tip, checked the ohms and checked that it worked (long detailed video from pg 1, didn't ck the flow). Then I put that one back in and went to the next one. I am kind of **** at times about putting things back together as I took them apart. So no more misfires.

Any other trick to the MAF other than getting a new one?

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you may now have a vacuum leak in addition to the previous issues. It isn't hard to cut or roll an O-ring when assembling the upper plenum to the lower. Use some carb cleaner to spray around the base of the upper intake and around the injector harness plug.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Had Advance Auto parts put the computer on it and it is now the MAF sensor.

Any other tricks for the MAF?

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had Advance Auto parts put the computer on it and it is now the MAF sensor.

Any other tricks for the MAF?

Replaced the MAF and still running rough....idles up and down. Took it to Auto Zone and had the computer scanned, showed MAP or MAF and multiple misfires.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you clear the codes before having it checked? Have you checked for vacuum leaks using carb clean?

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you clear the codes before having it checked? Have you checked for vacuum leaks using carb clean?

I am not sure if my codes will clear.....took the Neg battery cable off for about 10 minutes, when I restarted it the SES was still on. Then went to AutoZone and that is when those codes came up.

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
MAP sensor check

I attempted to check the MAP sensor using this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8EVhFc5Yqw
1. I back probed the green wire on MAP sensor with a paper clip and connected the probes of the multimeter appropriately (ground and paper clip).
2. Checked the volts with the multimeter; I only got 4.72 volts as the highest. It is supposed to be around 5.0.......Could this be the problem.
3. Attempted to do the rest of the test but the cheapo HF vac pump does not hold at each 5 psi interval.

So I will have to buy a real vac pump, can't find one to rent.