SES flashing / multiple misfires cyl 8 & 4/ got spider at junkyard.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
SES flashing after I replaced intake manifold gaskets / multiple misfires cyl 8 & 4.

When I took out the spider to clean the upper intake are the injector on the #8 one of the 2 black clips was already broken. When I put everything back together it went together fine, had a little problem getting the dist. back in right but got it back together. Ran rough, and SES was flashing. Took to Advance Auto and they put the scanner on it. Then I had trouble codes because the dist need to be indexed with the computer but I only had the misfire on cyl 8.

Then took apart the upper intake to look at the spider and make sure the all of the injectors were clean and to check them. When I took the injectors out one of the clip sides broke off on the another of the injectors (I think it was the #4). Any way I put it all back together and it still ran bad. Took it to my regular garage and had them index the distributor. When they put the trouble code scanner on it after getting the distributor right it showed multiple misfires on cyl 8 & 4. My mechanic knows I'm on a tight budget so he gave me some ideas to look for problems, that's why I did the intake manifold gaskets myself......$815 for intake gaskets ain't in my budget and I don't want to put that much $ into this truck. Last night I took the #4 spark plug out and it looked fine, a little brown but not like it had been fouled.

Anyway, I think the problem is the 2 injectors that the clips broke off. So today I went to the junkyard and pulled a spider from a 97 GMC Suburban. I just want it for the the pipettes not the body of the spider. Here it is, what is the best way to clean this up? As you can see it is a dirty thing. Then number on the inside is 1709 1626, I can't seem to find that number anywhere to determine if the injectors from it will fit the spider in my truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks for the help.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the video, I will do it tomorrow. I am on a very tight budget so I can't afford a new one especially if I don't know that is the problem. Thanks again.

are you aware that there is a upgraded version of the spider Injection system? It will save you a lot of headache and time.
http://www.amazon.com/Delphi-FJ1056...d=1412813200&sr=8-1&keywords=spider+injectors

if you are, and just wanna know how to clean it, a quick you tube search gave me these results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbWNowsTw2Q

this guy goes real in depth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOVfCggxWc&spfreload=1

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that the injector lines are not laid out like a spider. It is more like a spider that has to pee because the "legs" are crossed. I have purchased 2 trucks that didn't run right to start with because they needed a spider but the spider was installed wrong and it was assumed that the old spider wasn't the problem.
Edit: The body of the spider has the injectors numbered as to where they go.

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that the injector lines are not laid out like a spider. It is more like a spider that has to pee because the "legs" are crossed. I have purchased 2 trucks that didn't run right to start with because they needed a spider but the spider was installed wrong and it was assumed that the old spider wasn't the problem.
Edit: The body of the spider has the injectors numbered as to where they go.

Yep I know....I saw the cyl numbers on the side of the spider. Thanks.

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took out # 8 spark plug out tonight, here it is. YES, it is fouled. The next pic is the plug on # 4....just brown.

My plugs are AC Delco 41-932, I searched last night but could not find them.....at least not 8 and not at a reasonable pric. What others could I get....I'm not looking to change to a plat or double plat, just a regular spark plug.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2014-10-08 20.37.05.jpg
    2014-10-08 20.37.05.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 2014-10-08 20.42.46.jpg
    2014-10-08 20.42.46.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 21

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
41-932 are a platinum plug, which is what the Vortec had from the factory. They have been superseded by the 41-993, which is a platinum/iridium plug. They work great, but aren't cheap unless you buy them online. NGK TR55 is a good plug if you want something less expensive. Personally , I would clean the plug with some carb cleaner and a fine brass bristle brush and put it back in. The plug is a symptom, not the cause. My money is on the spider or a bad cap/rotor.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

tunedbytuna

Reaction score
I went through this missfire and flashing Ck Engine Light recently too. My issues were all related to a faulty distributor cap, which is very common with these trucks. Good luck