SES flashing / multiple misfires cyl 8 & 4/ got spider at junkyard.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suspect it is the injectors because my truck is using a lot of gas. As I mentioned before when I initially took it apart the # 8, one of the tabs was broken off. When I put it back together I only had a "multiple misfire " on the # 8. That night I took the upper apart again and I broke a tab off of the #4, when I took it to the mechanic and he indexed the distributor is when it showed "multiple misfire" on the 8 & 4 cylinder.

That's why I think it is the spider.

tunedbytuna

Reaction score
There was some corrosion on the contacts on the cap and the rotor, very little in fact, but it was enough to cause it to miss. I tested the injectors by checking fuel pressure and did a compression test, I followed www.troubleshootmyvehicle.com. Everything checked out, but the truck kept giving me random missfire codes with a flashing check engine light. After all the testing, it misfired again. I changed the cap and rotor, problem solved. I also went back to the AC 41-942 plug from that fine iridium plug AC 41-993 while I was at it. The wires, cap, and rotor were replaced August 2013 with Napa's best quality they had. In the end, and this was over the last month, I learned that these trucks are notorious for having corrosion inside the cap and this happens. At this point I have new cap, rotor, wires, plugs and it's running better with the 942 plug than it did with the 993 for the last year. I hope this helps.

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was some corrosion on the contacts on the cap and the rotor, very little in fact, but it was enough to cause it to miss. I tested the injectors by checking fuel pressure and did a compression test, I followed www.troubleshootmyvehicle.com. Everything checked out, but the truck kept giving me random missfire codes with a flashing check engine light. After all the testing, it misfired again. I changed the cap and rotor, problem solved. I also went back to the AC 41-942 plug from that fine iridium plug AC 41-993 while I was at it. The wires, cap, and rotor were replaced August 2013 with Napa's best quality they had. In the end, and this was over the last month, I learned that these trucks are notorious for having corrosion inside the cap and this happens. At this point I have new cap, rotor, wires, plugs and it's running better with the 942 plug than it did with the 993 for the last year. I hope this helps.

Thanks, working on it now.

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok here are pics after I got the plenum off. The 1st pic is cyl 4, that had the broken clip. But I realized from this photo that I had the spider for # 4 in # 2 cyl & # 2 spider in # 4 cyl. Therefore it is really the #2 spider that is causing the multiple misfires but it was in the #4 cylinder.
You must be registered for see images attach

The 2nd pic is from the # 8 cylinder, which really did have a broken clip. Also notice that the #6 cylinder spider has a broken clip too but it didn't show a multiple misfire.

The 3rd pic is the filter from the fuel thing on the front of the spider body (forgot the name)
See all the crud in this filter.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A broken poppet clip isn't going to cause a misfire. As long as the injector is in the appropriate hole and isn't jumping out, it's fine. Move the number 8 and number 2 injectors to different cylinders and retest. If the misfire doesn't move, then it isn't an injector issue. My bet is still on the cap/rotor though.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A broken poppet clip isn't going to cause a misfire. As long as the injector is in the appropriate hole and isn't jumping out, it's fine. Move the number 8 and number 2 injectors to different cylinders and retest. If the misfire doesn't move, then it isn't an injector issue. My bet is still on the cap/rotor though.

Here are the cap and rotor

I've done some testing and the # 8 injector is coming on properly and the Omhs are within specs ( used the detailed video from page 1).

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I move the injectors do I have to put everything back together before I test it or can I leave the plenum off and see if there is still a problem?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to assemble the engine and run it to see if the misfire moves with the injector.

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
HELP! Put back together now the RPM's are serging, running rougher

Got it put back together and now it is running rougher than before. The RPM's are serging slow but still serging from like 1000 to 2500.

Yesterday I took out the spider, took each injector out, took off the injector clips. I tested each injector, all the ohms were withing range and all were functioning electrically (I used the detailed video that was posted from the 1st page of this thread). The only thing I didn't do was test the flow of the injectors like he shows in the video because I couldn't get the ball / tip of the injector pulled out.

What could be the problem now?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you may now have a vacuum leak in addition to the previous issues. It isn't hard to cut or roll an O-ring when assembling the upper plenum to the lower. Use some carb cleaner to spray around the base of the upper intake and around the injector harness plug.