Serpentine Belt Life?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My daughter is taking my 5.7 Vortec Silverado camping, and I do not want her to have any trouble. I am wondering what the change interval for the serpentine belt is, how to diagnose one that's going bad, and recommendations on best brand to buy.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A belt of pretty much any brand should last a very long time, though everyone will have their personal preferences. If you're picky and don't mind spending a couple bucks, a Gates belt, or a Goodyear Gatorback, are very good quality. I generally avoid Dayco as I've had squealing/chirping problems with them every now and then.

Before a long trip? Grab a section of the belt where you can see the ribbed side, and flex it around at an angle. If you see cracks, replace it. A few cracks are normal on an older belt, but more than a few tells you its time is up. It could still reasonably last many thousands of miles past that, but it is a sign that it's getting old.

Richard

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Pretty much, yeah. ^^

Take a look at the belt. Pretty obvious when they are old and turning brittle. I just buy whatever the OEM equivalent is from my local parts store.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
If it's questionable, just replace it. Squirrel the old one away in the sleeve the new one came in and stick it in the under hood storage box as an emergency spare.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replacing sounds like the best idea. I've had the truck for only 7 months, so I don't know the history of some of the cheap parts that can let you down, such as the hoses and the belt. The engine and body are in great shape, the interior is really nice, so for the money involved to get the peace of mind, I'm going to replace the bypass hose, the two heater hoses, (and that little one that curves on top of the front of the engine), the rad hoses, and the belt. The thermostat has already been done, the battery looks new, so (cross your fingers) the beast should be reliable.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I think the rule was more than three cracks in a one inch section and it's time to replace.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

AWick20

Reaction score
Are those cracks across the belt, or in line with the belt (ie: in the grooves)?

The cracks will be primarily on the ribs of the belt. However, it is important to note that the majority of belts being manufactured nowadays are made of a different material than older belts. They will wear down like a tire rather than cracking(at least thats what is suppose to happen). It is important to check for the depth of the ribs as well as cracks. Many auto parts stores will carry free gauges to help determine the condition of the belt. If it is an older belt, it may be made of the older material that will show cracks on the ribs.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most, if not all, of the new belts stretch, but don't crack. If in doubt, spend $20 and 5 minutes to change it out. Mark where the tensioner sits with the old belt vs the new and you'll know how much the old one stretched, and whether you should keep it as a spare as superdave said. I always keep an old one around, plus a 16mm socket and breaker bar just in case...