seafoamed my new 95

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also if you put it in your oil you're supposed to change the oil very soon.

How soon is very soon?

Also I've heard to run it through the pcv valve so you get both heads, where running it through the vac line just gets one head?? Any truth to that?

Also curious about this. I have a can of seafoam right now, and as soon as my burb gets exhaust I am gonna do it.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
start the vehicle and let it get to low idle.

Using a pre tb vac hose, slowly suck 1/2 of a bottle into your motor be careful not to stall it.

You may notice some smoke coming out the exhaust if you go to slow, dont let this bother you... 1/2 a bottle.

Shut the vehicle off and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Pour the remainder of the bottle into your gas tank.

After 5-10 minutes, start the vehicle. Make sure the car is in a well ventilated space as it can smoke excessively.

You can rev a bit or drive while it is smoking. That is just the car clearing the seafoam and cleaned buildup out of the motor.

Seafoam can also be used to clean the valve train. If you want to clean you valve train, pour 1/2 a bottle of seafoam into your oil fill spout. Drive the vehicle normally for roughly 100-200 miles. Perform and oil and filter change as normal.

Seafoam makes a trans cleaner as well. When using the seafoam trans cleaner, you should do a trans fluid and filter flush within 50 miles. This is something you do not want to leave in for too long. The valve train and oil can take it for awhile. The trans shouldnt be left with anything but proper trans fluid for very long at all.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah so we have the basics but the question still remains about the PCV valve. It seems very important that you are cleaning the entire motor, both heads. I've heard the vac line is only cleaning one of those heads and the PCV valve is cleaning both or the other, I'm not sure. I'd like to clear this up so I know for sure going into this.

Pouring in the PCV, would that get to both heads? Or would you need to do 1/2 in vac line and 1/2 PCV or would just PCV be sufficient?

Any help on that would be greatly appreciated. Want to make sure I am getting everything and not just half assing it.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pcv is a vac line

if the seafoam is pre throttle body, it will disperse through the intake mani into all 8 cylinders.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay so you're saying pcv would be just as effective as pulling vac off the brake booster or?

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont think the brake booster goes into the tb, if I remember right, it goes into the intake mani towards the back. I would use the pcv.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks Sully. See, I'm still very new to engines and anything to do with them. I can understand concepts and when things are explained well, but I have no idea. The thing is 90% of the time you see people pulling the vac off of the brake booster. I have yet to see a youtube vid of someone using the PCV. They're all using brake booster vac and someone said the PCV was the best (to get to both heads and all 8 cylinders) so I had to clear that up. Thanks a lot man.

Also, the remaining half that you pour into the tank. Is that treated just like any fuel stabilizer? I mean should the tank be full? Does it matter? You just pour it in and drive normal? You only shut the engine off after you pour half in the PCV, fire it up, and then you get the smoke right.

2tone95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok so what does seam foam do to ur vehicle should i do it on mine where do i get the things needed?

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seafoam eats away the build up inside your motor allowing for better movement and combustion. In the fuel tank, it cleans the fuel system fro the point of entry through the injectors. If added to your oil, it cleans the sludge off of you oiled parts.

All you need to use seafoam is the can of seafoam. Do not buy the deep creep or trans cleaner for your motor. They are made for other things. Up here it costs roughly 10 bucks a can.