sbc 400 in a 97 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like splayed 4 bolt caps...but that's not factory...

silver97

Reaction score
Yeah I ditched the sbc 400 idea. Without a roller cam, I don't think the 400 would make the torque and horsepower at lower rpms. The thicker harmonic balancer also had me worried. I will build a 383 or do a 6.0 liter swap. I like the stroker kits that Texas Speed sells for the 6.0!

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After looking around a bit at rotating assemblies, I can mainly find externally balanced ones that are at a decent price point. I understand that having an internally balanced one would be better, but is there any serious longevity problems with an externally balanced one? This is not going to be a high RPM setup, but one with lots of low end torque. Last thing I'd want is to have to rebuild the engine after 10,000 miles.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're asking. If you are using a 400 it has to be external.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whoops sorry... I was asking about a stroker kit for a 350. Most of the ones I've found are externally balanced. What are the main drawbacks of this versus internally balanced 350s?

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Only difference is one is basically a stock 400 crank and the other is a 350 crank with a longer stroke.