sbc 400 in a 97 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silver97

Reaction score
I have been doing some searching and can't find the answers I need. Can I take a late 70's small block 400 shortblock and bolt vortec heads to it? Will my stock fuel injection, distributor, sensors, 4l80e trans, exhaust and accessories work with that setup? I know that I will have to get the pcm tuned and I need to change the cam. What advice can you all give? This is going into a 97 suburban 2500. I am hoping for 300hp and 400lbft of torque.

silver97

Reaction score
i am trying to find out about the reluctor wheel and special timing cover if they will work with the older engine

silver97

Reaction score
So far I have found that steam holes will have to be drilled in the vortec heads (just match the head gasket and drill the holes, takes 15 minutes.) If you swap a roller cam in you need a cam button, but the plastic timing cover that is needed for the crank sensor/reluctor wheel would probably not do to well with a cam button pushing on it. Can I just use a flat tappet cam with 112 degrees of lobe separation so the computer will work? I read that a flat tappet cam would not walk back and forth. Can I bolt the 5.7 vortec flywheel to the 400? Any problems using the vortec distributor with the flat tappet cam? Any other sensors or issues that I am missing ?

The big beast!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the distributor! but i think you can use a flat tappet cam but i'm not 100% sure, and do you mean flywheel or flexplate? I know you need to use a 400 flexplate and not the stock one! but if your talking flywheels i'm not sure.

The big beast!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want to do it in more of a simple way you could just do a carb swap then you don't have to mess around with the computers

silver97

Reaction score
I mean flexplate. I would like to retain the fuel injection. I have the 4l80e trans and I want my cruise control to work.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes the 400 is Externally balanced do NOT swap the balancer or flexplate for one not meant for a 400 SBC!