Satans DTC P0171 P0174

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dako

Reaction score
Status update. The only codes I have now are the good old, ever present, immortal, P0171 and P0174 codes, and now the P0300 random misfire code. Before I go troubleshooting and checking everything from the coil down to the plugs including their gap, and cleaning them since they've surely fouled by now, I have a question. Can any kind of exhaust leak before the upstream O2 sensors ever be bad enough to cause the lean codes to show up? I swear I read somewhere or saw a YouTube video saying that could be possible, but I don't know, I do have a few leaks I'm pretty sure of. Also, I'm really suspecting my IAC valve could be failing. It passed the test for resistance, but it seems I have to unplug it every time before I start my truck just to get it to fire up. Not sure what that means, lol. The rubber cap on the pintle looks pretty dried. Tomorrow I've got a day off from work and I'll be renting every necessary tool I'll need to perform every test I have yet to do. I'll post any vacuum readings I get, any compression readings I have, both dry and wet cylinder, and I'll recheck my fuel pressure. Wish me luck, at this point that's about all that could possibly save me now! That or winning the lottery!

Dako

Reaction score
Status update. I don't think I can do it anymore. I'm trying to hang in there, but this thing just keeps getting worse, and worse, and worse. It's gotten to the point where it won't start at all. First, I think the battery is dying on me, second, I can't tell if the coil, the cap, or rotor are going out. I bought a compression tester that I sort of can't use yet. But here is where things just further test my strength and patience as a human being.

This morning I needed to get to work and it would not start. My dad got back after taking my mother to her dialysis appointment and the two of us tried to **** with it some more. After spending hours just desperately trying to get it to fire up, and after it kept belching plume after plume of thick white smoke through the throttle body I had to give up and just borrow my dads truck. I finally made it to work about 5 hours late. At that point I could've just called in, but what the hell, I get paid by the hour.

So, I get home and try to use this inline spark tester I bought at work. I hook it up and all and climb into my truck and get ready to crank while I look between the hood and wiper cowl to watch for the flash. I suspected that either my coil, cap, or rotor where dying on me as there seemed to be absolutely no fire when cranking the engine. So I turn the key and try to see the flash, and the goddamn thing fires right up like it always used to, used to... I get out and look into the engine bay and see the tester flashing with the spark plug. I decide to give a few revs by grabbing the onto the throttle body, and when I try to rev it the engine hesitates like usual before picking up speed, but I noticed something, the light on the spark tester grows real dim, almost to the point of going out completely before the engine picks up again and then the light returns. Now, I have no confidence or certainty left within me, but I feel like that's not what I want to see if the ignition system should be fine, I think there is something wrong there. Could it be the battery? The spark coil? The distributor cap or rotor?

ANOTHER THING! The engine kept blowing thick white smoke at me for the four friggin' hours my father and I kept trying and trying and trying and trying to start it, what the hell is that about? It smelled real strong of gas, and naturally I figured, "if it has the lean codes, to try and fix this the computer will just dump more fuel in, it must be flooding itself out". So I pull out every spark plug one by one, and they are all completely soaked, as well as being completely filthy. So, while I have them out I decide that I'll also check and/or re-gap each one. As I take one upside down and tap it on a hard surface under the hood, gas just pours of the spark plug, enough to leave a puddle. So I continue and spray my plugs with some carb cleaner, brush 'em gently with a brass wire brush, but as one is sitting to dry it becomes covered with rust, and the puddle where gas poured out, nothing but rust left when the gas evaporates! Hold on, what the hell is this!? In another spot where I poured some gas out of a spark plug all the gas had already evaporated, but a single drop is left, I already know that it's friggin' water! Why the hell is there water in my engine!?

I've already replaced the intake gaskets, a heater hose, the radiator, the heater core, the water pump, don't tell me it's the head gaskets now! That could only be the next logical thing, like something out of a cartoon with cracks in a dam once I fixed one leak in my cooling system, another one would spring up somewhere else! So for about 2 years I was chasing leaks in my system!! And now the head gaskets are the last stop on this express crazy train straight to Hell! I know, coolant in the combustion chamber can often be identified by white smoke out of the tailpipe, but my truck never smokes, but when I go to start it tonight, f@!%ing smoke! Could it be all the gas burning out of the system? The half-a-can each of Ether and carb cleaner I sprayed into the intake!? Or coolant!?! Could it just be that it's getting cold out? I'm at a loss, and my willpower and spirit are fading fast. I guess it would make sense that the engine is drinking coolant, since the level in the radiator, slowly, very, very, slowly, has gone down about 4 to 6 inches from the top of the radiator neck, over about the course of an entire year to a year and a half. I know it's not just dumping into the crankcase which was the reason I originally replaced my intake gaskets, or else I would see it and notice it in the oil.

And about the lean conditions, could it be possible that a fuel injector has popped our of its port in the intake manifold? When I went to replace my fuel pressure regulator in the plenum, I noticed lots of injectors with missing tabs that clip them into place, broken from years of age and heat. With those clips holding them in their spot properly, could they pop out? And if so, could that make the computer perceive a lean condition, cause it to dump extra fuel in, only to have that spray as a huge mess inside the plenum and cause plumes of white smoke to burp out of the port where the IAC valve is? Because that IAC valve doesn't seem to be doing **** anymore, and every time I pull the throttle body hat off and open the plate, everything is covered in gas.

I could go on and on about this, but it would be wasted effort. At this point I am seriously considering, although it would be more work than necessary and a bit pricey, if I should just grab a Gen III engine, like a 4.8 or 5.3, and just swap it in and call it a day. I am literally at that point right about now. What did I do wrong? My father and I took care of this truck. I baby it, I service it, I look after it like a member of our family. Why?

On another note, say I found the money to do a swap, what would your recommendations be, lol? I want a 4.8, but really, if I could find one, I'd really love a 6.0.

Dako

Reaction score
P.S.

All of this bullshit started just because I wanted to get it to pass an inspection, lol, if I'd have known this was gonna happen I would've just tried to go for the officers gun and hope he killed me quick, lol, instead of taking a ticket for expired Registration and Inspection stickers.

Dako

Reaction score
So uh... I don't know what I did. But my truck works now. I replaced my ignition coil, my TPS, and MAF, as well as cleaned the crap out of my EGR valve. Incredibly long and hilarious story short, my truck is ready to pass an inspection.

Thatlowchevy

How’d I get inside this tube?!?!
Reaction score
So uh... I don't know what I did. But my truck works now. I replaced my ignition coil, my TPS, and MAF, as well as cleaned the crap out of my EGR valve. Incredibly long and hilarious story short, my truck is ready to pass an inspection.

My old 98 did the exact friggen thing. right to the friggen letter. i ended up saying f@ck it and ran it that way until she blew. 2 years later lol. glad to know you got it sorted out though

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It was probably a junk replacement MAF all along. I was gonna suggest unplugging the MAF to rule it out. Parts store electronics are garbage, I'd rather run 20 year old factory parts.

Dako

Reaction score
AT LONG LAST I BRING FANTASTIC AND WONDERFUL NEWS! When things got so bad that for nearly a month my truck would no longer start I thought to myself, I should check my fuel injectors to see if they are plugged or leaking, or perhaps a leaking fuel pressure regulator, since on a fuel pressure gauge the readings were well below necessary spec. Knowing I would need to remove my upper intake plenum, I picked up an upper manifold gasket set at O'Reilly and then proceeded to remove everything. I clean everything I can under there as best as I can, check my injectors and check my regulator. Nothing. So, I get ready to reinstall the plenum, clean the surfaces, get the gaskets in place, and struggle to get the damn thing to go down on the o-ring that goes around the spider assembly. I read online tips and tricks for reinstalling and notice someone saying that one should use Vaseline or some silicone spray, specifically not motor oil, because the additives cause rubber seals and o-rings to swell and will only make installation more difficult. Lucky me, I have a can of silicone spray, so I soak both the plenum and the o-ring real nice and get the upper plenum in place, it drops down without hardly any effort. I get every bolt down and torqued exactly to the specs in the manual. Later that night after I get it wrapped up I have my dad pull his truck right up to mine and we bust out the jumper cables one more time. I crank, and crank, and crank, fully not expecting anything until it starts to sputter before it eventually fires right up as strong as it always used to. Funny thing about the forum I read about the installation of the plenum. If I did not have the plenum in position just right, the o-ring around the spider assembly would roll off partially or be pinched, creased, or torn, and cause a vacuum leak... ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?! :eek::eek::eek:

MY GOD, was my faith, patience, sanity, and will tested for sure!!! :rotflmao:LONG STORY SHORT, a simple, overlooked vacuum leak to small to find with starter fluid, brake cleaner, etc, yet somehow large enough to be noticed by the computer and cause trouble for everything involved and snowball into something so big it almost made me lose faith in my own truck, ended up being an o-ring around the spider assembly that had rolled off. And I just had a gut feeling that the problem was there, because the last time I replaced the plenum and gaskets I did not at all like how the plenum felt going down on that o-ring, and I soaked the PISS out of that area with starter fluid, carburetor cleaner, brake cleaner, and NOTHING happened. Well, folks, there you have it. My truck runs again and has been going strong for almost a month now with no engine light or codes. I fixed my vacuum leak, my misfire from burned caps and rotors due to clogged distributor vents, and my parking brakes, and got inspected. I am a happy Chevy man once more. :boti:

Dako

Reaction score
I'M BACK. And I'm not happy about it. The codes are back. At this point...

I've had a new:
-MAF Sensor
-MAP Sensor
-Lower Intake Manifold gaskets
-Upper Intake Manifold gaskets
-Upper Intake Manifold to Fuel Injector Spider O-Ring
-Throttle Body gasket
-Throttle Position Sensor
-O-Ring for the dipstick
-Fuel Pump
-Fuel Pump Relay
-Fuel Filter
-Valve Cover Gaskets

I've also:
-Tightened every single hose clamp on the intake tubing from the mass airflow sensor to the throttle body adapter and the Vortec resonator box.
-(Probably) dumped a total of 2-3 gallons of fuel injector cleaners over the course of a year into the gas tank.
-Seafoamed the truck twice.
-I've fixed the little seal inside the throttle body adapter as best as I can because GM, IN THEIR INFINITE AND I N F A L L I B L E W I S D O M, decided to discontinue the entire plastic adapter, throttle body hat, cover, doodad, thingamajig, whatchamacallit, chingadero, what-have-you.
-In addition to fixing that, I've made a gasket out of cork that sits between the lip of the throttle body and the intake adaptor to provide a better seal.

And according to the technicians where I work...:
-The O2 sensors are good and are reading and reporting correctly.
-The mass airflow sensor is good.
-And lastly, their smoke machine can find no leaks whatsoever.

So... What do I do now? Everything else is good. Fuel pressure is in spec, compression, etc, etc.

If that weren't enough, N O W, I have P1354, the delightful Cam to Crank position fault.

Unless you guys can give me some kind of miracle answer or solution, something that I've overlooked once, twice, a hundred times, then I've admitted defeat, thrown in the towel and given up. It runs fine and everything else will pass inspection except for the engine light and the fault codes, (thanks so very much Travis County Texas).

So, I've decided that I'll just keep driving it and just pay the tickets the cops give me as I get them, because I've run out of -options, -time, -money, -patience, -care.

All I know is; I've had enough.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im sorry to hear of your troubles. Thank god my truck has tbi and doesn't have near the sensors and what not the vortecs have. I did read that you had cleaned the fuel spider but have you replaced it? I don't know much about the 96+ injecton systems other then what ive read on here. Could that possibly be giving you the lean codes? As for the other I have no idea other then possibly bad sensors out of the box or possibly a wiring issue.

Dako

Reaction score
Im sorry to hear of your troubles. Thank god my truck has tbi and doesn't have near the sensors and what not the vortecs have. I did read that you had cleaned the fuel spider but have you replaced it? I don't know much about the 96+ injecton systems other then what ive read on here. Could that possibly be giving you the lean codes? As for the other I have no idea other then possibly bad sensors out of the box or possibly a wiring issue.

Man oh man how I wish I had a 1994 tbi engine in my truck. Life would be slightly better and easier.