sas with 78 ford dana 44

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im putting together ( along with everything else im doing to my truck ) a dana high pinion 44 ford front axle out of a 78 f250. it has the 8 lug pattern. now the real kick to the head is that i just spent about 2k on my 6 lug 12 bolt rear hahahah ( fake laugh ) so my question is would it be easier to do the 73-78 chevy 44 knuckle swap to the ford 44 to make it the 6 lug pattern and keep my rims and tires...or leave it 8 lug and buy adapters for the rear? opinions needed!

Cajun4x4

The Green Seal
Reaction score
im putting together ( along with everything else im doing to my truck ) a dana high pinion 44 ford front axle out of a 78 f250. it has the 8 lug pattern. now the real kick to the head is that i just spent about 2k on my 6 lug 12 bolt rear hahahah ( fake laugh ) so my question is would it be easier to do the 73-78 chevy 44 knuckle swap to the ford 44 to make it the 6 lug pattern and keep my rims and tires...or leave it 8 lug and buy adapters for the rear? opinions needed!

first of all, the only things you have to change to make that d44 6 lug is the brake backing plates and the actual hubs themselves... no new knuckles or spindles or anything like that required.

secondly, i know you wanna keep the 12 bolt you put so much money in but take my advise and just sell it and go with a 14ff you will save yourself a lot of headache in the future. but if your dead set on keeping it then just convert the front axle to 6 lug

thirdly, 6 -> 8 lug adapters are hack, so dont do that :uhoh2:

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alright thank you. i think i still want to go the 6 lug route. i really rarley go wheeling and when i do i dont run the truck that hard. but its still a little too much on the ifs.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if i did enough hard wheeling i would prob do that. and if i thought about it first i would have built a 14 bolt the first time lol