SAS steering ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orrdnek

Reaction score
Im collecting parts for my SAS. i have a passenger side drop np241 to bolt to my 4l60e. (free) :) i have the axles and 4 inch springs out of a frinds 79 Chevy (also free)! :D i plan on buying the kit from skys offroad for the front end and doing a hanger flip in the rear. my question is in regards to steering. what do i need to get to make the steering work? any help is appreciated!

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do research....there is a lot of different ways you can go with the steering.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
either crossover, or hydro. crossover can be done many ways from inexpensive to expensive. you can use high steer arms or use the arms that are already there and just a dual heim type deal.

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the easiest thing for you to do and still use the parts you already have (steering box, pitman arm and D 60 tie rod) is a crossover steering system. You will need a steering arm which will bolt to the top of your knuckle, and a drag link which will go from your stock pitman arm to your steering arm. Depending on how much lift you may need a drop pitman arm. Thats it. its not expensive and very straightforward. Two parts. Here is everything you need to know. http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Dana60crossover.htm

for heavy fourwheeling you may want to add a high steer tie rod. If you plan on running huge tires, you may want to upgrade to Hydro Assist.( I just did a thread on that in here. it says "hydraulic ram assist steering"

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
what 79 axle are you using? if its a 10 bolt you need older 73-76 dana 44 knuckles to even hook up steering

orrdnek

Reaction score
yeah its a 79 ten bolt front axle. i found some companies like skys offroad that sell the steering cnversion kits. do i still need to purchase the older dana 44 knuckles?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will need either a set of the older D44 knuckles with the flat top passenger side knuckle or you can also buy aftermarket flattop knuckles with the matching taper to the corp 10 bolt.

You can run the mix-matched knuckles then your centerlink will be on an angle.

orrdnek

Reaction score
You will need either a set of the older D44 knuckles with the flat top passenger side knuckle or you can also buy aftermarket flattop knuckles with the matching taper to the corp 10 bolt.

You can run the mix-matched knuckles then your centerlink will be on an angle.

Is there anything negative to having the centerlink at an angle? If i get both D44 knuckles is that the same as the high steer conversion? thank u for sharing ur knowledge with me on this

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
Is there anything negative to having the centerlink at an angle? If i get both D44 knuckles is that the same as the high steer conversion? thank u for sharing ur knowledge with me on this

From what i have read during my SAS research, you do not want a bent centerlink.

orrdnek

Reaction score
guess i should of read that before i posted it. what i meant to ask was if the high steer conversion for the d60 that the link takes you too would work for the d44