SAS 93' K15 - D60 79' F250 Snow Fighter: Steering/Springs/Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justin93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the process of assembling my Dana 60 from a 79 F250 Snow fighter and 14 Bolt FF 73-87 Blazer (10.5")

I will be swapping this in my 1993' Chevy K1500 which I hope to throw some 40-42's on when the SAS is all done.

I am putting the running gear together right now and I thought I would see if some folks could provide some insight on what they:

- Ran for steering - Cross over w/ or w/o HD DOM tie rods? Should I run w/ or w/o high steer ? I've been advised not to if I plan on running a 40+ tire, just thought I'd get some thoughts on this one

- Leaf spring selection - Did you run Custom springs or did you run stock? Front and/or rear springs? How much lift and what size tire?

- Front Dana 60 Brake setup, I believe most folks run the 3/4 ton GM Brake calipers. Anybody running anything different? If not, I'll probably do the 3/4 brake conversion and run the cut throat plates: http://www.cutthroat4x4.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=18_26&products_id=64

More about the build/purpose:

Power Train:

- LQ9 bored to LS3 Spec machined w/ original aluminum 317 heads RV Cam (Mild)
- Waiting for California Smog Referee to advise if I can run the 4L80E instead instead of 4L65E transmission for the LQ9 so I can get my BAR sticker under the hood
- Will be running the original NP241c T-case because I have life time warranty on parts and rebuild, I will need to install the output shaft adapter to get it to mate to the new transmission.

Purpose:

- Capable of being Daily driven m-f during week if my Camaros down (45 miles combined)
- Weekend offroad warrior at the SVRA's thinking more bogging than crawling but still want good travel
- Occasional towing car trailer and 20' Boat

Current Axle parts:

- ORD SAS Hangars 31.5"/32"
- ORD Forged 1350 yoke (R)
- Yukon Super Joints for D60
- Yukon Upgraded 35 spline Inner/Outer Axles for D60
- Yukon Upgraded Locking Hubs for D60
- Original Ford Hubs for D60 (I believe 9/16" Outer studs on 8x6.5 Pattern)
- D60 Spring Plate
- Original D60 Spindles
- 4.88 Yukon R/P (F+R)
- ARB Air Locker (F+R)
- Master Overhaul Kit (Timken Bearings) (F+R)
- TSM manufacturing 14b FF Disc brake conversion

Parts Needed:
- Steering Knuckles (Ford - Reid Racing)
- Leaf Springs
- Cross Over Steering
- Front Brake calipers/brackets/extended lines
- Front Driveshaft
- Probably a bunch more ****:dancingpoop:

Let me know if you have any suggestions or insight

I'll get some pics and share any more info needed

Thanks