Sanding headlights and tails.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When sanding headlights do you cut the **** off to make it easier and what's the best spray can clear?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
You could cut them off, but then you can't use an old style bubble level alignment machine to align the headlights. If this doesn't matter to you, cut them off.

If the headlights are very yellow and have peeling clear ( factory applied stuff ) I start with P400 on an orbital ( if you cut the pegs off ) to remove all the factory applied clear and remove small pits from rocks. Next, a thorough wet sanding with p600 on a soft foam block. You can clear over P600 with a good quality automotive 2K clear. Nothing I am aware of in a spray can ( 1K ) is going to give you anywhere near the durability or UV protection of a professional product.

Wash the headlights and tail lights with soap and water very well before starting sanding, and again after you are done. If you have them all sanded, washed and prepped, a body shop might clear them for you fairly cost effectively.

If the reflectors have any dulling or peeling, you might just be wasting your time. OE headlights have a better pattern and distance than any of the aftermarket ones I have seen, although I haven't seen the TYC Elegante headlights in person.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Here's a picture of a tail light I sanded and cleared with Diamont DC92 clear ( a 2K pro product ) - 2 coats.

You must be registered for see images

vortecv8~5.3l

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replacement headlights and tail lights are so cheap it almost isn't worth all the trouble of sanding them. IMO

Virginiabound

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they're being polished correctly after the sanding treatment, go for it.

If you're using clear coat to mask imperfections after the sanding treatment in hopes of a gloss finish, rock auto is your better bet.

3000 grit wet topped with M105 on an orbital does an amazing job, sanding and spraying over top of them does not.