Safety wiring bolt heads, Do's and Don'ts...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Aluminum cloud" I understand. How many "Aluminum clouds" does it take to get to "Aluminum overcast"?
A: It didn't take too many. Visually they seemed to move so slowly that time
would stop & they would loiter for minutes before they disappeared from view.
(The exact opposite of our fighters.) Surreal.

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You remove the wings and tail on the C130 then you roll into the C5 to deliver anywhere.
Like GoToGuy said:
You must be registered for see images attach

NOTE: Before cameras, war stories were considered simply over the top. Who'da thunk
we weren't pulling your leg? :0)

Attachments

• C-5 ingesting C-130.jpg
    C-5 ingesting C-130.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 7

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the late 70's while doing some "cross-training" with an AF E-3 and our Navy P-3 at Mather AFB, we had to land at Beale for a night after a flight. When we arrived at the hanger extra early the next morning two SR-71's were departing 30 minutes apart. We were supposed to stay in the hanger and not watch the take-offs, but we snuck out and watched anyway.......

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Instead of trying find an old photo, the miracle of the internet.
They have " level kneeled the gear " the front is lowered to truck bed, the rear ramp is at truck bed also.
There are two 50,000 lb wire rope electric winches mounted in the floor front and back. So there probably using the rear winch with one snatch block to pull the fuselage into the cargo compartment.
Anywhere, anytime, item weight up to 200,000 lbs. , And fits in the cargo compartment. You call, we haul, airlift.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
I might be a little late to the party here. But I do a LOT of safety wire in my line of work. I've never tried the safety wire pliers. But another option is a "Safety Cable Gun". It uses a multistrand length of cable with a welded end piece, and then a crimp that goes on the other end to keep the cable tight. The gun tensions, cuts, and crimps the end all at once. Pretty nice to have for when you have to get in tight spaces.

For anyone wanting another document that deals with safety wire/safety cable/cotter pins check out "TM 1-1500-204-6". That's the Army Aviation manual that deals with standard hardware installation. About the same as the Air Force one mentioned earlier but with a few differences. You should be able to find older versions on google, the newest one doesn't have any differences that would apply outside of aviation.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so watched the video. The two times they demonstrate, would not have passed inspection.
In the comparison photo of safety on top and the Bergen tool. The safety wire is again unacceptable almost neutral.
There are components you replace and they want you opening them, or to ensure quality control that use this type of wire lock seal.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dash sixty, -60, ground power unit, Detroit diesel,( 4-71 ?) . Ran at full power, RPM, when giving power to C5. It was so loud you could scream yell at someone standing right next you, and nothing , just WAAAAAA!
I forgot to mention, you're thinking of the -86. Yes, it has a 4-71 Detroit Diesel. We load banked them at 200 amps, tweaked to 117 volts because all -135s leak a little voltage. 400hz three-phase. If you think they're cool, you need to wrench on a Trilectron. It has a turbocharged 6V92, and the Navy versions put out 220kW. I loadbanked one on a 20°F night and heated our shop up to 90°F. Since we loadbanked at 110% of rated power, 250kW heater FTW!

The -60 is an air start cart, and that's where I learned safety wiring. The peanut filter was the most difficult part, but once you got a handle on that you were a safety wiring pro.

C-130s seem plenty big when
standing next to them in real life..
C-130s look small next to KC-135s. In 2004 I spent two months in Spain working with C-130s, KC-135s, and C-5s. The C-130s look small next to KC-135s, and the KC-135s look like fighters next to C-5s.