Running two ECM/PCMs in one car/truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Please don't take this as criticism of any sort, I'm just genuinely curious. I have no experience with this stuff, but is it not feasible or possible to find an aftermarket solution that will control both? Something like the Holley Terminator X Max universal kits for example. I'm sure it would be more expensive, but might be easier to customize and you'd only have to deal with one PCM. Some little stuff like making the factory gauges work might be tough, but I imagine you might run into that type of issue either way.

Sorry I don't have any info on your actual question, just thinking out loud.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Still confused as to why anyone would want to run an early bosch analog maf and the early GM MAF TPI code. I converted several to $12P Holden code native to the Austrailian 808 ECM that is functionally the same as the 165. Deleted the garbage early MAF and burn off relay and put speed density MAP in its place. Its easier to just run the TPI off the 93+ TBI computer. Really want MAF use the 93+ computer and run a newer Vortec style frequency MAF with the MAF $OD MPFI custom coding.

racprops

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please don't take this as criticism of any sort, I'm just genuinely curious. I have no experience with this stuff, but is it not feasible or possible to find an aftermarket solution that will control both? Something like the Holley Terminator X Max universal kits for example. I'm sure it would be more expensive, but might be easier to customize and you'd only have to deal with one PCM. Some little stuff like making the factory gauges work might be tough, but I imagine you might run into that type of issue either way.

Sorry I don't have any info on your actual question, just thinking out loud.

No problem I learn things this way. This will be an engine that will never see 6grand and spend 90% of its life at 1500 to 1700RPMs. So I do not need a high performance set up.

When I learned of the Camaro TPI system it was because of learning they could get 30/35MPG.

I bought back in the late 90s early 2000s three complete Systems intake, MAFs and wiring hardness, and a few books on swapping these and their engines into a number of other cars and trucks.

This is a old school 383 SBC and to use any newer ECM or worst PCM with OBDII means a LOT of work running new crank sensors (OmitySpark OMG NO) cam sensors etc.

The 165 runs a stock Camaro fine and can give it 30/35MPG, why fight to put anything else in??

A 93 Van has analog gauges so no problem what ECM I run.

Rich

Still confused as to why anyone would want to run an early bosch analog maf and the early GM MAF TPI code. I converted several to $12P Holden code native to the Austrailian 808 ECM that is functionally the same as the 165. Deleted the garbage early MAF and burn off relay and put speed density MAP in its place. Its easier to just run the TPI off the 93+ TBI computer. Really want MAF use the 93+ computer and run a newer Vortec style frequency MAF with the MAF $OD MPFI custom coding.
Well everything I read says a MAF is more senstive and controls fuel best, which is why every thing has them now.

NOW your interested me, please tell me more about: "Its easier to just run the TPI off the 93+ TBI computer. Really want MAF use the 93+ computer and run a newer Vortec style frequency MAF with the MAF $OD MPFI custom coding."

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wouldn't an LS 0411 ECU be a cheap and easy solution too? You can get all the sensors needed to run it off a blown up or junkyard L31. The 0411 lets you have OBD2 monitoring and tuning capability as well as being able to run lean cruise. Tons of OS's out there for L31/4L80E combos and it will let you run everything with a single computer.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NOW your interested me, please tell me more about: "Its easier to just run the TPI off the 93+ TBI computer. Really want MAF use the 93+ computer and run a newer Vortec style frequency MAF with the MAF $OD MPFI custom coding."
The same setup as suggested on your thread over on GearHead-EFI - the 7427 PCM :waytogo:

racprops

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK I have been shown the light, I can run a 7427 for a 4L80e and convert it for MPFI.

And I can find 16197427s everywhere reasonable BUT no one can tell me anything about the van or truck they came out of.

They cannot tell me what transmission, engine of even if it was even running when hit.

My old friend who had a junk yard would often say when asked if a part was any good, “Well it was moving when it hit something.” He could then show you to car or truck it came out of. Sadly he passed 7 years ago and wife sold yard.

So looks like I will need to load the basic operating system for a 350V8, for a 4L80e and hopefully for lean Burn Cruse.

My read is I can get any 7427 and just reprogram it…Correct??

Can someone tell me how to do this and what tools will be needed??

And are all operating programs on the EPROM or do we need to make changes to the main ECM??

Best of all worlds will be to have a person load these programs to an EPROM or chip as I also have a Moates Memory Adapter With a preloaded MPG custom chip.

Plus the older EPROM chips from my 93 350 4L60e 165 ECM, so how much of engine and transmission programs are in the EPROMs?

Can I just plug them into a 16197427 and just take off??

As this will be a fresh start up of a new engine I hope to have a good ECM to light it up.

Perhaps someone can sell one? A 427 ECM or loaded EPROM or suggest a good tuner/programmer?

Rich