running hot...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I think it could be the quick disconnect from the hose on the bottom of the radiator. Had problems with mine. Engine was running hot, about what your's is at. I would remove the radiator, replace the connection, and have the radiator flushed. Then put green coolant back in it. I'm out here in Tucson and sitting in traffic with the A/C on high the temp NEVER moves over 160-170. When I opened up the radiator it looked awful in there, almost what I would call baby **** color.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i havent yet...i just got the truck...

flush it real good pull the thermostat housing and sick a hose in it with the lower off the pump and let the water run!!!! go get the rad. flush to.. i would also change that clutch fan again it just dont sound right... make sure you pull the heater hoses off and run water thru them also... now refill with green...

ive always hated the GM coolent if you open the cap and it smells like dead fish.....its well past time for a flush

kevhill85

96 BD Tahoe!!!!
Reaction score
change the clutch fan... ive seen them junk right out of the box... the fan shouldnt be locked up on start up it should free spin... i would also change the coolent like you said and go back to the green stuff...
X2 ....

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
It is a centrifical clutch set up i believe. The spinning of the motor will engage it. when the motor is off it should spinn freely.

draggin95niss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok well i drained the coolant...kinda....the radiator is so damn plugged the drain just barely dripped...so i pulled the upper hose and crammed the water hose in the cap opening and cranked up the truck and let it run with the heat on...i also pulled the tstat...it never warmed up...i looked inside the radiator with a light and it looks like red clay caked to the coils inside there...so now i gotta change the radiator and possibly the heater core...i figured i would bypass the heater and flush the engine once more before i change the radiator and then put it ack and replace the heater core....this really sux and the p/o really needs to be smacked around a bit for letting th etruck sit and get this way...btw i bought the truck from the original owner that bought it in 96 new....the past few years he hardly ever drove it and it sat for months at a time....ive had the truck for 3 months now and ive had to do nuthin but throw parts at it cuz its sat for so long and ***** breaking from not being used...also he live on the water so the whole underside has lots of rust...nuthing rotted thru but just more than normal....think im just gonna patch it up with a used radiator and maybe sell it...i have a kid on the way and dont need sumthin i gotta constantly work on....

draggin95niss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well ive pulled the radiator and sent it out to be cleaned, i got it back and put it in today, i also flushed the motor before installing the radiator, then i put it all back together running straight green antifreeze with little water, i burped the system, and drove it around for a bit, the temp never rose above quarter way up....it actually stayed at the faint line just below the bold quarter way line...is this where the temp should ride or is it a lil to low?