running hot...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

draggin95niss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
first off ive been lurking around for a while now just havent posted...now my problem im having is my truck keeps running warmer than id like it too...its a 96 vortec 350...a month ago i had to replace the fan clutch ever since then it hasnt been right....ive changed the thermostat, and the rad cap...i can drive it 5 miles in stop and go traffic to work and it either runs kool or it will run up to 210 the tstat will open and it will cool...at lunch i drive the same home and back to work, to home its same as morning but coming back its hit or miss, sumtimes it will run warm sumtimes not, this past sunday i decided to take it on the freeway and not even 15 miles it starts running hot i had to head back home...the water pump was changed probly 2-3 years ago and only maybe 10,000 has been put on the truck since then, it does have dexcool and i was considering a flush and go back with green...ive also noticed that when i feel the fan should be engaged it isnt, its also engaged on startup cold or hot...any ideas? im kinda at a loss here i cant keep throwin parts at this....

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
If its a 195 Thermostat, that's normal, I freaked out after I got my intake gasket changed and they put a new t-stat in there, I thought "aww damn, something still isnt right" because I was used to my truck running cooler from the older t-stat.

I took it in and was reassured it was ok.

As long as it doesn't go over 210, your fine!

draggin95niss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no its goin over 210...actually it will go just past it bout halfway to the next mark and sumtimes it will cool sometimes it will continue to heat up...ive noticed that if i put it in neutral at lights and hold the rpm's up bout 1800-2300 it will sustaine the temp but not cool it down...

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
no its goin over 210...actually it will go just past it bout halfway to the next mark and sumtimes it will cool sometimes it will continue to heat up...ive noticed that if i put it in neutral at lights and hold the rpm's up bout 1800-2300 it will sustaine the temp but not cool it down...

Maybe its your coolant temp sensor?

draggin95niss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i dont think its air in the system, i burped it again when i changed the rad cap sunday, i drove the truck round th eblock and let it cycle the tstat and it was fine, i went inside for roughly an hour before i left, when i left i went to the gas station and topped it off, i left it running while i put gas in and when i got in the truck it was fine, i pulled out to th elight and it started rising to 210 then the tstat let go and it kooled down, once i got on the freeway and was driving for roughly 15 miles is when it started warming up it gradually rose to 210 then it rapidly start goin over like the tstat was stuck shut, this is the same problem i had before changing the tstat....almost seem like a flow issue but i would think it would be constant not up and down, also it has NEVER boiled over either...i was also thinkin maybe the sending unit but how do i test it?

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
change the clutch fan... ive seen them junk right out of the box... the fan shouldnt be locked up on start up it should free spin... i would also change the coolent like you said and go back to the green stuff...

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dude it sounds like your cooling system is plugged up... how good did you flush the old coolent before you put the orange stuff in???