Rough Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
ok, i've been posting in the stupid questions thread for a while but i figured my own thread would be better

since i've owned my truck its burnt leaked oil and 'ticked' and had a random misfire
I always assumed it was loud lifters and didnt really worey about the oil

now it burns more oil than normal and has a really loud tick at the pass side, sounds like a lifter (I just tightened them) or an injector

I was having a problem with ping but that seems to have gone away with new plugs

but it still burns/leaks oil
and has a misfire (up to 20 counts on cyl#4)

the old plugs were pretty bad for under 10k on them heres a pic
You must be registered for see images

I have tried.
connection/disconnection my msd module
new pcm
94 octane
new coil
new cap/rotor
wires are new
new plugs
compression test (passed)
new pcv

I have valve seals to replace, should help with the oil consumption, as well as the pcv I replaced

I think that there may be something up with the fuel, I was told it has the upgraded spider and with the throttle body off I can see lines that are covered in like a cloth not the hard plastic so I think it is the newer style
i'll get a fuel pressure tester tomorrow and see if i can find anything
and i'll try and see if theres a dead cylinder tonight, and run a can of seafoam through
i'm thinking I might have a bad injector but not sure

i'm open to any and all ideas/suggestions

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Couldn't tell you about the oil, but I had the same tick and misfire on the pass. side, the exhaust flange was missing 2/3 studs and leaking like crazy. Messed up the flow and caused the tick and misfire at idle. Auto parts places sell them in the entire kit of 6 studs for like $7, check that out.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You've definantly got something going on in cylinder #4. If I were you I would take the heads off and recondition them, and check the cylinders, cylinder walls, and rigs at the same time.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I also replaced both exhaust manifolds with mr gasket ultras, It sounds just like an exaust leak except i'm pretty sure it isnt

as for cyl 4 i'm pretty sure its a valve seal thats gone and/or a leaking injector thats causing it to run pig rich. If it comes down to a head job i'll likley run the engine into the ground and build a new one

i'm starting to really think its something with the fpr/spider assembly.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
ok, I seafoamed it today and as expected no results other than the cloud of smoke when i hit 4k rpm

I also changed a valve seal on cyl#4 As soon as I hooked up air i could hear it leaking back out, I dont know where though. I started with the intake seal. it went well. a tight fit though I had to tap it on with socket and hammer. the exhaust seal required me to take off the fpr (just the type of spring compressor I used) but I got weary when I had one of 2 clips off and the tool slipped sideways and pushed on the valve and it lost pressure for a second. So.. I never changed the exhaust seal. but I did add some oil and sefoam to the cyl and did a compression test and it read like 180, which is higher than the numbers I had before (about 15-20% higher) Is it possible all my rings are bad? I never put air to the others as I ran outta time for tonight.

I should have a fpr tomorrow to test that.

as far as the tick from the pass side I'm really thinking its an exhaust leak.... just cant find where (probably has something to do with my 150$ 18ga painted headers)

I still have a good bit of power (keeps up almost perfectly even with my buddys bone stock 09 ecsb k1500 with 5.3) and not terrible mileage (13mpg not being to conservative).. mabye I should just keep driving it as it is?
Its got me pretty stumped.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I also replaced both exhaust manifolds with mr gasket ultras, It sounds just like an exaust leak except i'm pretty sure it isnt

as for cyl 4 i'm pretty sure its a valve seal thats gone and/or a leaking injector thats causing it to run pig rich. If it comes down to a head job i'll likley run the engine into the ground and build a new one

i'm starting to really think its something with the fpr/spider assembly.

I don't think its a fuel problem, but looking at cylinder 4 spark plug, you've got excessive amounts of oil entering that cylinder.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Yeah the intake valve seal was cracked, I didnt want to do the exhaust, just incase it fell into the cyl. then i'd be screwed. I am going to see if my oil consumption is down any and if the plugs arent fauling as quick, if not then i'll do the exhaust valve seal.
for now i'm going to try and track down that tick that i'm thinking is exhaust and keep an eye on my tailpipe for blue smoke.
i'll run a fuel pressure test too, just to be sure.

worst case senario I end up building a motor or I go diesel