Rough Idle after New Starter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the mean time of deciding in what to do about my trucks transmission, I'm getting the starter went out. It would turn the engine over three time and then the starter would just spin. So I went and got a starter and starter solenoid and out it on. The starter still drags a little bit but it did start. However after it started it, it had a very rough idle! I mean it shook the whole cab, I waited a few seconds and after maybe 5-10 seconds it straightened out. I tried it a few times and still the same thing. I didn't have a check engine light or anything. Anyone know what I should check out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
Be careful, some guys on this forum will get pissed if you bump a thread like that. Sounds to me like a fuel pressure issue, not a starter issue. They work as a team to start the truck, not much pressure, not many cylinders firing, causing stumble and what not. If you have to turn the key multiple times or it takes priming, the fuel pump is letting go.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
If the starter just spins now and again, I'll bet you have a cracked flywheel (flexplate)

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not really spinning anymore. Just drags some. Ill check out the fuel pump and I guess they'll see my flywheel when they change my transmission

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks man! Ill have to check that out as well!

Do these trucks have a bit of a problem with fuel pumps? How is the best way to get to them? Remove the bed? I seem on YouTube a guy had a video of cutting the bottom of the bed out enough to access it and then bolting hinges back on to it?

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Thanks man! Ill have to check that out as well!

Do these trucks have a bit of a problem with fuel pumps? How is the best way to get to them? Remove the bed? I seem on YouTube a guy had a video of cutting the bottom of the bed out enough to access it and then bolting hinges back on to it?

I've never had a problem with my fuel pump, but running them close to empty tends to be what kills them. I fill my truck up if it gets below 1/4 gas left, otherwise the pump is picking up all the crap in the bottom of the tank.

For you truck guys, removing the bed is the best way to go. Us SUV guys have to drop the tank. :banghead:

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Dropping the tank in an SUV is cake with a body lift. Can get the tank out, new one in and running in 45 minutes. :waytogo: