Rocker arm torque Vortec 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Using my handy (but not so effective) endoscope I discovered that the cam gear on my big block was worn. Once I finally got the cam pulled out I found that it isn't worn after all and is in pretty good condition. I did find two lifters with stuck plungers so they'll be replaced.

I'm curious about torquing the rocker arms down though and haven't found a clear answer. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if it will make a difference but does it matter if the valves are open or closed when torquing the rockers back down? Also, does it matter how the lifters, pushrods, and rockers go back in? I've kept them organized and had planned on putting them back in exactly as they came out just in case plus I'm ocd about those things.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
There is not a torque spec for the rocker arms, the spec is 3/4 of a turn from zero lash with the valves closed.
With the engine in #1 cylinder TDC ( the groove in the damper aligned with "0" on the timing cover both #1 cylinder valves closed) you can adjust the exhaust valves on #'s 1,3,4 and 8 and the intake valves on #'s 1,2,5,and 7. rotate the engine until the timing mark on the damper lines up with "0" on the timing cover ( #6 cylinder TDC) and adjust the exhaust valves on #'s 2,5,6 and 7 and the intake valves on #'s 3,4,6 and 8.
The valves on a 7.4 run front to back on the passenger side of the block(cylinders 1,3,5,7) Exhaust, intake, exhaust, intake, exhaust, intake, exhaust, intake and the opposite on cylinders 2,4,6,8.(Intake, exhaust etc.)

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Vortec aren't adjustable though

Try including ALL of the pertinent information for your truck in your opening post and it will cut down on wasted time for everyone that is trying to help.:waytogo: For a 7.4 Vortec the spec is 40 lb.ft.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Torque spec isn't the question. My question is does it matter if the valves are open or closed, as I said I don't know enough about this to know but..it seems to me that them being in one position or the other could affect how much torque needs to be applied.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Torque spec isn't the question. My question is does it matter if the valves are open or closed, as I said I don't know enough about this to know but..it seems to me that them being in one position or the other could affect how much torque needs to be applied.

Nope, just crank them down. Having the crank in position only applies to an adjustable valvetrain.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Nope, just crank them down. Having the crank in position only applies to an adjustable valvetrain.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If ya wanna split hairs, you would be fighting spring opening pressure, but for non-adjustable in the past I've just cranked them down to German torque and been done.