Rewrapping Door Panel fabric sections?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Guys, I know I haven't made any progress on my truck in a few months, but I've got all the plans and a pile of parts waiting on me when I get home!

So my next question is to help finish my interior project I started right before I left. I started the change-over from grey/charcoal interior to red/black. But, unfortunately, the red fabric paint I used had been frozen and turned out like crap, so I used the black I had to cover up my mistake and clean it back up again.

Here are a few shots from the swap:

Stock panel:
You must be registered for see images attach

Black painted panel:

With red plastics and speaker grills

OHC black fabric and red plastics with black accents (buttons, light sockets, etc)

Black armrest with red cupholders

My question is for anyone who does interiors on these trucks, or has rewrapped the sections of fabric on our doors. What would be the best fabric to do these with? And can I just pop those out, rewrap like I would on some other panels, staple/glue to the panel, and remount? I have done some interiors before like that, just wasnt sure how our trucks panels are made.

Sewlow, I know you do upholstery and such, maybe you can help? Or anyone with some input?

I will post up a picture edited with how I would like the door panels to look.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
^^^ Awesome thanks. I wasnt sure if they were molded in or could be removed. What kind of material is the insert made of? More plastic? or board?

Some kind of resin/plastic/cardboard/composite like material.

Looks like it is poured and pressed into shape and relies on the pressing process to hold it together.

Doesn't look very "robust" at all. Be careful with it....

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
haha awesome. When I redid my LeBaron's interior, I wrapped it and used small staples, because the panels were a thick fiberboard kind of stuff. Pulled tight and just stapled every inch or so. We wrapped it in a fleece material, and it turned out really nicely. Im not sure if I wanna do a vinyl/smooth material, or stay with a fabric.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
haha awesome. When I redid my LeBaron's interior, I wrapped it and used small staples, because the panels were a thick fiberboard kind of stuff. Pulled tight and just stapled every inch or so. We wrapped it in a fleece material, and it turned out really nicely. Im not sure if I wanna do a vinyl/smooth material, or stay with a fabric.

My thought process:

truck = use = work = dirt = want easy clean and wear resistance.....

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
any panel you can cut a piece of fabric and glue it on just takes some time and effort.

cut your shape a little bigger so it wraps around sides, vinyl a heat gun works nicely to help eliminate wrinkles and stretch material to contour we use a glue called k kwik it doesnt ruin the backings and adheres very well, usually we pour it in a spray gun with a compressor and blast it out that way, press the seams or ends down for awhile so they tick and your good to go.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Yeah I have done some panels that way, but I have also come across some panels that didnt work too well. Like I said before, the LeBaron panels were really easy and cheap, since they were more of a fiberboard and small tack staples worked like a charm. And was alot cheaper and easier to do. Depending on what colors I can find in vinyl and fabrics, will depend on what I use. I want to match the paint I have as close as possible.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
it depends on the glue you use and the fabric used, theres ways to manipulate vinyl and other materials so they arent so tough to contour around corners and things like that.