Reverse lights don’t work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this probably ain’t the right thread to post this in but my reverse lights don’t work. They’ve never worked since I got the truck but I just got 5% tint and I can’t see **** bAcking up now lol. Anyways I know it isn’t the bulbs Bc I have tried 100 differnt bulbs and none of them worked. Can anybody give me any suggestions on what this might be???

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it’s like my 90 c1500 the reverse light switch is on top of the column near the firewall. Nylon wears out and it won’t stay in place. Rotate it counter clockwise and the lights should work. At least for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it’s like my 90 c1500 the reverse light switch is on top of the column near the firewall. Nylon wears out and it won’t stay in place. Rotate it counter clockwise and the lights should work. At least for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks I’ll try it out and update y’all

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reverse lights and the neutral safety are controlled by the same switch, because both are dependent on shifter position.

Here's photos from my '88 K1500. I suspect your '95 is similar. The plastic tang on my switch broke because the internal parts wouldn't slide like they should. The switch "locked up" in a certain position from excess wear. The leverage of the long shifter handle was more than the plastic could take.

You must be registered for see images

Switch has "ratchet" adjustment. Here it's pushed almost all the way to the left.

and this is pushed almost all the way to the right. There's an adjustment procedure in the Service Manual, but I had to manually ratchet it over a couple of notches to make it work right--engine starts only in Park and Neutral, backup lights come on only in Reverse. In other words, don't be afraid to fine-tune the thing once installed.

The additional electrical contact on the new switch may be used on some applications. For my truck, it's not connected.

Of course, your truck may have faulty wiring or a corroded circuit board. The circuit board at the taillight housing is an epidemic problem.