Replacing Valve Covers...are these any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm slowly fixing up the appearance of the engine bay. I've taken the air cleaner apart, sanded it down, filled in most of the pitting, and then primed and painted it. Got to figure how to knock down some of the orange peel. With all the effort involved in getting just this looking good, I see the factory valve covers being a serious PITA, due to the "ribbed" design of the tops. I'm debating on simply just replacing them with these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390448830820?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

These match the design perfectly, but they require a push in oil cap. I want to keep this as factory as possible, so can I remove the "threads" in the factory valve cover and stick them in this one? I don't know if the cover itself is threaded, or if there is a plastic inner threaded piece in there. Anyone bought aftermaket valve covers? Any recommendations? I'd love to find a set that have "GMC" or "GM Goodwrench" or "GM" on them, but they seem hard to find, or really expensive. I want them to be black, not chrome.

I don't know if I can directly swap all my stuff out of the factory valve covers into these or not.

The main reason I want to replace vs. repaint is because the factory ones have a decent amount of surface rust on them, and all the prep work required, plus the post-painting work required to make it a smooth reflection seems to be over $50 worth of time/labor IMO.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You need to get yourself a sand blaster. It will do you wonders.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep what they both said^^^^ you can get a blast cabet for $100.. just clean the oil and grease off before blasting or it will jack up your sand..

oh and if you can find a dish washer that works for cheap grab it also.. there just like having your own hot tank washer... throw the valve cover in put some soap in there BAM clean.. just make sure you run hot water to it...

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know you said you wanted to keep it stock, but for a few bucks more, you can get some aluminum ones and paint them to match. I got these from ebay for about 80 bucks.
You must be registered for see images

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
You said it would be about $50 in labor to prep the surface because of the rust. Question is, are you busy doing other things that will make you more money than that?

What I mean is, if it will take you 5 hours, unless you have a job that pays $10 or more, then why not just take the time to do it yourself? You can save yourself a lot of money by doing things yourself even though it takes time, because if you're not making money, essentially you are "paying" for it with your time. What do you have more of, time or money?

Either way, I can see your point, it would take a lot of work with sanding, but I don't think it would be too bad. Just depends on how much it's worth to you and if your time is more valuable to you than the money to buy new ones or have yours refinished.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@89, this is true, but I really like the stock look. The rest of the truck is 100% stock, and I want to keep it that way as long as possible. Everyone puts big tires, lift kits, etc. etc. on these trucks and all I think it does it detract from the looks of it.

@gmc

I don't mind doing the work, the main problem is that I am REALLY **** and particular about what I put on this truck, and while I could paint it, I couldn't replicate the original finish on my own, and it would always bother me. I searched for 3 years just to find an AM/FM radio w/ DIgital EQ and cassette that had absolutely no wear on it so I could stick it back in the truck. I love hopping in it and it looks like a brand new truck inside. Feels like I just picked it up from the dealership.

I managed to score a (near) NOS pair of GM valve covers off of eBay for $21, so at that price, I can certainly justify just replacing them.

I'm not "well off" by any means, but I do indeed have more money than time these days. I just figure, if I can replace it for a decent chunk less than I could repair/repaint/etc. what I have, I'll do it. Only time I get to do any real work to it is the weekends, and even then, it's sparingly at best.