Replacing 700r4 with 4L60e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfcivic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is it possible to put 4L60e into my 91 tbi with 700r4? Reason is I ended up getting a brand new 4L60e for free. Also have the ecu and harness. I've read I can use toggle switches to shift but I'd rather not go that route. If it's not possible I'll sell it and buy another 700r4

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have to answer a few questions:

What year was the truck the 4L60e, ECU, and harness come from? What is the model number of this ECU?
What is the model number of the ECU currently in your truck?

If everything matches up, you may be able to repin the current wiring harness to the connectors for the new ECU, incorporate the 4L60e harness into it, plug everything in, and drive it down the road.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
90HalfTon may be right on this one. 96 and later PCM's for the Vortec engines are different than the 95 and earlier TBI PCM's and isn't an easy swap. Also, the transmissions changed so you couldn't get a later TBI PCM to control that transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Im just going the Uprgraded 700R4 route even though i wouldnt mind swappin to a 4L60. Jus dnt wanna go thru all tht wiring.