replacing 4l60e question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reymundo

Reaction score
1994 1500 5.7 TBI 4x4 4L60E---I was wondering which seals should be replaced while I swap out the transmission. Someone recommended that I do the seal that keeps the fluid in the tranny and out of the transfer case, what is this seal called and what other things should be done while its out? I am new to Chevy..sadly only ever driven a Ford...but got this sweet truck for a song and a dance and I can feel myself coming over to the other side.

Reymundo

Reaction score
Super pumped to have the truck running guys, I have the transmission sitting next to the truck ready to go in!!!

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rear main seal. The rest of the seals are on the transmission and should have been replaced with the rebuild.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rear shaft seal replacement is correct, as it will keep fluid from entering into transfer case. If it has not been recently gone thru, replace input seal behind torque convertor as it has a retainer to keep pressure from popping it out. Other than pan gasket, the trans gear selection shaft seal is the only other seal that goes due to the fact that dirt, sand and other goodies get trapped on top of it. Before removing switch assembly, remove nut and shift lever, but gently sand / grind or file the flat sides of the shift shaft behind the shift lever. It will have burrs on it that will damage your switch removal and causing four letter words to be heard.