Replacement Leaf Spring Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoneCynic

Reaction score
I am in the process of trying to restore my 1991 K1500 to its former glory. I am the second owner, but the first owner was my father, so I am aware of everything that has or has not been done to it since it was purchased new in '91. I just removed the bed from the truck today and have it set up to do body repair work and repainting separately before bolting it back on. While inspecting the rear frame and making plans to wire brush and repaint it black, I noticed my passenger side leaf spring (still the original factory springs) is cracked. I plan to replace both leaf packs, and possibly the shocks and stabilizers as well while I am at it. I will be replacing the front fenders with new ones soon too, so I have a unique opportunity to work on all of the suspension components with much easier access to everything right now.

Lifting the truck is not a primary goal, nor do I really desire to lift it any higher than stock. I do, however, want to replace or possibly upgrade everything while I have easier access to work on all of it. I'm okay with something that is better than the OEM stuff that raises it a little bit, but nothing too drastic that will require further modifications to accommodate, if that makes sense.

I am open to suggestions on parts/kits/etc. for this project, and anyone with personal accounts/tips/advice is welcomed and appreciated. Thank you all in advance for any help you can provide in this endeavor.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
I put 3/4 ton leaf springs on mine. Raised the rear a little over 2" but if you tow a lot it will be the best upgrade ever. The sag difference is night and day. It does ride a little rougher though. I personally love the hell out of them and they are one of my favorite mods to date

LoneCynic

Reaction score
I do tow a boat on occasion, and more often, a single axle trailer for our ATV. I like the idea of adding the springs from a K2500 3/4 ton pickup. Is there a specific aftermarket brand you recommend or a website link suggestion for those? Going to the Chevy dealership for parts on my old truck is ridiculous. I tried that route a couple of times, no joy.

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
Sounds exactly like my truck except it was the drivers side leaf spring on the rear shackle :rofl: yea, id go with 3/4's. you could go to the scrap yard and try for a 2500 or you could order em from LMCtruck.com

My suggestion though is scrap yard. cheaper, and theyre as good. lmc is about $200 a piece, but the scrap yard you could pick both up for about $50

LoneCynic

Reaction score
I'll check the scrap yards again soon. Last time I went, I did manage to find a rust free hood still attached to one in the lot. It only cost me $60 instead of $200+ for an aftermarket replacement, but those trucks were all stacked up on bare wheels and had been mostly picked clean of good parts. I'd be afraid to lay under one of them trying to take the leafs off that the whole thing might come down on me!

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I did the 3/4 ton springs as well and there is almost no sag at all when towing and its a direct replacement

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i might have to do this mod myself that way i can get rid of the 2 inch block i have now. are the 3/4 ton suburban leafs the same thing?

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
Yeah I got mine for $60 from a junkyard. I love them!

This was the difference in thickness of the leaf packs

You must be registered for see images attach

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Again There is NO Difference from 3/4 Ton Springs and 1/2 Ton. You could get the 1/2tons with the same leafs, Just go to the junkyard and count the leafs. You'll want the 5/1's like shown above
You must be registered for see images attach

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True but by getting then from a 3/4 ton 8 lug your guaranteed to get the 5/1 instead of the luck of the draw on a half ton...