Removing slave CD player from 99 obs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at possibly buying a 99 OBS silverado very soon. It has the factory tape player with slave CD player down below. If I go aftermarket on the head unit, what are my options for the area where the CD player currently is? Are there any kits out there that come with something to put in that hole or what?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Trucks without the slave get a pocket, you may still be able to purchase it new from GM or get it from a junkyard. LMC also sells them.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Just buy it off ebay theyre like 5 bucks

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Bought mine off Ebay but that was 7 or 8 years ago.
I haven't looked since then.

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Got my old truck sold, now trying to find a new one (96-99...). So far they've all been duds.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
$5 sounds like it's the Metra pocket and not the OE. You don't want the crappy Metra one, might as well leave an empty hole in the dash.

The metra one works fine theres no noticable difference on a part that simple

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting, I didn't even know there were non-OE solutions for that. Does the Metra one have the fancy man soft lining on the inside of the pocket? My LMC one has a light spray of some velvet-ish feeling stuff inside. Just went out to the garage and felt the inside of the factory one in my truck and it has it too, albeit more worn out than the one I put in the Suburban.