Removing Rear Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
So I'm trying to take my OEM bumper off to get my Ranch Hand one on...I've hit a snag. I took all the bolts out of the brackets on the frame, and the bumper slides in and out about 1/2" but the top of the brackets are hitting a lip that prevents them from coming all the way out...do I have to remove the brackets to get the bumper off? I'm thinking I can remove one and then the other one will be allowed to come in and then out...I've already undone the outer brackets just got tired of the mosquitoes and quit for the day.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have replaced the rear bumper before but the only thing I had to do was rotate the bumper up a little and then it came right out. Sorry im not much help.

The only other thing I can think of is loosen the outer bumper brackets from the bumper so you can swing them out of the way a little.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Just do like ^^He said. Losen the bolts on the outer brackets and they'll turn out.

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I left my brackets on and unbolted from the frame when I got rear ended a while back ... Didn't seem to have any problems at that time ... and the replacement bumper seemed to bolt right back on ... Not sure bro, the Z71s have some kind of reinforcements on the framework or something ??

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Idk, I swung the outer brackets out of the way but I am still having the problem. The top lip of the inner brackets hits the lip of the bed, and I cant rotate it up because the structure of the inner brackets hits the frame...I'll just get out one out tomorrow and I think that should get it out.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
When I took mine off I unbolted the bumper from the brackets and then took the brackets off the frame, but I needed the brackets to copy the hole pattern. Good luck with it man!

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
When I took mine off I left all the brackets on the frame but you have to "wiggle" the bumper back and forth, pulling each side a little at a time until it slid all the way off.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
every time i have taken my bumper off, i just unbolted the brackets from the frame and slid it off and on, ive had mine off a few times

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
every time i have taken my bumper off, i just unbolted the brackets from the frame and slid it off and on, ive had mine off a few times

If you have a body lift, it wont hit the lip Chris is talking about but I guess on some normal height trucks it clears the lip too :shrug: