Removing 4L80e PLEASE HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterM

Reaction score
Dropping a 4L80e out of a 97 K3500.

Tried to remove the transfer case first. Cant fit it out, torsion bar cross member is in the way. Tried to remove the torsion bars. Not happening. Rusted on.

So ive bolted the transfer case back to the transmission and shook the hell out of it until the bell housing and torque converter seperated from the engine. Lowered the tranny jack down. Top of the bell housing is stuck against the flex plate and tranfercase is jammed all the way back against the torsion bar crossmember.

Transmission is completely disconnected. Been shaking, lifting, and lowering for over an hour. Not coming out. My next move is to try and remove the flex plate to make some room.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

-matt

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you remove T-case mount completely, pull the T-case back and rotate it, twist it sideways and try droping it down?

I've been doing a lot of 07+ Silverados so maybe I'm rusty on the 400 removal process.. But I thought there's room to twist it above the crossmember and then drop it straight down.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Can't you unbolt the transfercase now?

Kemit

Reaction score
My 98 k1500 should be the same. I transplanted a 4l80e into it. You have to remove the trans crossmember and the tcase slides back and then tilts forward and out. I never had to touch the torsion bars or that crossmember. My case is the 246 and might be smaller than the 241 but it worked the same way on the k2500 trans donor with the 241.

Can you not get it off the trans or to drop down and out?

MisterM

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply but eneded up getting out by rotating the trnasmission completely sideways (crazy i know) got the new one in by ratchet strapping transfer case to the torison bar crossmember, jacking up the tranny, bolting it on, then working the tranny and transfer case together. (Didnt even have 1/16 inch to spare.

Thanks for the replies but i do have 2 more quick questions. Ive now installed the rebuilt 4L80e that was from a 96 k2500 6.5 minus the electrical and trans line connections. There is one extra connection on the 96 tranny that the 97 didnt have and also the hole where the oil return line goes in on the 97, is non-existent on the 96 tranny. What i need to know is what is this extra connection? Its a two prong female connection towards the rear of the tranny on the driver side. Its identical to a connection about 4 inches in front of it towards the front of the truck (there is only one of these on the 97 tranny). Also is the oil feed on a 96 4l80e in the same exact spot as a 97 4L80e?

MisterM

Reaction score
Discovered that this rear connection is the output shaft sensor. Is it weird that the 97 4l80e did not have a connection for this?

I also have an extra connection that does not plug into anything coming from the transmission wiring harness. Its a 3 prong male connector with purple on it.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
My 98 k1500 should be the same. I transplanted a 4l80e into it. You have to remove the trans crossmember and the tcase slides back and then tilts forward and out. I never had to touch the torsion bars or that crossmember. My case is the 246 and might be smaller than the 241 but it worked the same way on the k2500 trans donor with the 241.

Can you not get it off the trans or to drop down and out?
Actually a 246 is quite a bit bigger than a 241

MisterM

Reaction score
Just found where the extra male connector went.

So im still unsure why my 97 doesnt have an output shaft sensor but the 96 does. Also still need to figure out the tranny lines on the 96 4L80e. Is the feed closer to the front and return closer to the rear? Theyre only about an inch and half away from each other.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-matt

Reaction score
Rear-most connection is the return from the cooler. Btw, if you've made the wise decision to flush the cooler with one of the aerosol can flush products, hook it to the return line so that you are back flushing. Then follow with judicious amounts of compressed air. I'm in the process of shoehorning back in the 4l80e that I rebuilt on our 99 8 lug suburban.