Regearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i think for now I will run wide 33's. i have a 3"bl to put in, cant afford suspesnsion. i'll keep my stock tires for now. till i can afford new rims and tires. from what i hear from you guys wide 33's will be fine. plus i'll probably end up with something 2" wider and about the same wight as me heavy ass toyos.

With just the 3" body lift 33x12.5 will be perfect. Stock rims will keep things even more from rubbing.

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran my 91 with 315/70r17 BFG a/t ko's for over 3 years with the stock 3.73 gearing with not one issue. I was even very hard on it in the dirt and on the street. After the BFG's I went to the 35x12.50r17 Toyo MT and that is the reason i regeared. They weigh over 20lbs more per tire and I could definately tell. The heavier tires killed my power and my gas mileage. As soon as I regeared, I realized I should have done it sooner. It has much better drivability off road and on road. The transmission and engine dont work nearly as hard with 4.56's as they did with the 3.73's. You dont necessarily HAVE to regear but it is definately good to.

jrussell19

Reaction score
ever thought about 255/85/16....almost a 33 skinny equals a little better mpg's and probably not as hard on the trans..bc of the weight factor, the other factor is how u drive it i guess

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Diggging this up again with some more questions.
So my rearend is working as an open diff, its a G80 tho. I want to put a new Diff in, a selective or mech locker, possibly regear at the same time, for some 4:10/4:56.
My front diff is working fine, but it owuld have to be regeared if i do my back diff. from what i've heard you cant get a locker for the front diff unless you've got a HD (8bolt)

sooo, are the front diffs interchangeable? driveshaft and cv plate wise? or can i even get a locker for one of them. it would have to be a selective locker there (oubviously)
Would any of this be worth it? i know it'd cost a fair bit but i think it would give me more offroad capability than a lift and be nice as a dd too.
or should i just buy a 2500 and go from there lol.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Diggging this up again with some more questions.
So my rearend is working as an open diff, its a G80 tho. I want to put a new Diff in, a selective or mech locker, possibly regear at the same time, for some 4:10/4:56.
My front diff is working fine, but it owuld have to be regeared if i do my back diff. from what i've heard you cant get a locker for the front diff unless you've got a HD (8bolt)

sooo, are the front diffs interchangeable? driveshaft and cv plate wise? or can i even get a locker for one of them. it would have to be a selective locker there (oubviously)
Would any of this be worth it? i know it'd cost a fair bit but i think it would give me more offroad capability than a lift and be nice as a dd too.
or should i just buy a 2500 and go from there lol.

I think the only selectable lockers are the ARB air lockers or the Eaton e-lockers and they are bigger money. I see no problems with running a full time locker in the rear for DD or street driving, I would spend the extra money elsewhere. Like I posted before if running 35's I would go no less then 4.56 gears and if you run little highway and more offroad go 4.88's.

There is no locker for the front 1/2 ton IFS and from what I have read a front diff swap from a 3/4ton-1 ton just isnt an easy task or reasonable to do, be better off doing a SAS or like you said buying a 2500 series truck.