Rebuilt Replacement Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did not know that will look into it. Would the ZZ4 have a little choppy idle?
I have headers. Shouldn't I be able just to bolt them up?
The ZZ4 cam is a mild mannered cam and has a very very slight chop
also the headers should work as long as you don't need an EGR

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You will need to plug the port in the egr port in the intake manifold, but that shouldn't be any problem, the only thing would be that from people that I have talked to that have done that to a gen 1 motor loose a couple MPG's on the highway, but that's the only affect that I have heard of.

Bad91Bowtie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could buy a replacement vortec motor from gm for that price.

http://sdparts.com/details/gm-goodwrench-replacement-engines/12530282
better warranty

They won't honor that warranty in his application though...

assuring you the reliability and quality you expect from the Goodwrench name and backed by a 36-month/100,000 mile transferable limited warranty when installed into the correct applcation.

With the OP truck being a 88, they would back out of that one pretty easily, but with it being a new motor and all I'm sure you wouldn't need it......

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't need to buy the Vortec/TBI intake manifold either. You can get much better flowing manifolds for a lot less if you just get a carbed intake and put on an adapter plate. Since emissions is not an issue that is the route I would go myself. The ZZ4 cam is a pretty popular upgrade because it works with the stock torque convertor and runs smoothe. It's idle, especially when tuned is really mild, almost stock.

The Hotcam is a nice cam and there are guys running it with a stock torque convertor who say it's fine. I wouldn't run it without a mild convertor and at least 3.73 gears to get the full potential out of it. That said here is a dyno graph comparison of a guy that swapped one into his ZZ4 ( which has basically the L98 Vette Heads which are dated to say the least) and the LT4 is beating on the ZZ4's torque number even at 2000 rpm. Not many people drive much lower than that so really it should be driveable and reasonable with a stock torque convertor.

Last edited:

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The LT4 Hot cam is designed for an engine that is going to be in the upper rpms (4500-6000)
also this cam does not pull enough vacuum for efi to get decent mpg's

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well while we're talking crate motors, an HT383 would be a great route. You'll get the extra displacement and torque from the stroker crank, not to mention the roller setup and vortec heads. I'd bet that the LT4 cam would be quite a performer, being tamed by the extra cubes. But that's only if you're after power above and beyond what it produces out of the box.

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well while we're talking crate motors, an HT383 would be a great route. You'll get the extra displacement and torque from the stroker crank, not to mention the roller setup and vortec heads. I'd bet that the LT4 cam would be quite a performer, being tamed by the extra cubes. But that's only if you're after power above and beyond what it produces out of the box.

Great combo and lot of power but your mpg's on a good day would be roughly 4/5

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The LT4 Hot cam is designed for an engine that is going to be in the upper rpms (4500-6000)
also this cam does not pull enough vacuum for efi to get decent mpg's

That's BS, where are you getting that idea from. The useable rpm is much lower than that and look what engines GM destined it for...... LT1's and LT4's.... they are both injected and most guys knock down similiar MPG's with it as with the stock cam. Hell, guys in California can still pass emissions with it........ real wild. It's a mild performance camshaft, being a 218/228 split. It will run fine, especially if you get someone with half a brain to tune it. Hell even the Vortec 350's run fine with it and when tuned the idle is noticeable but nothing ridiculous. The ZZ4 is a waste of time IMO, unless you are building a tow pig........ And there are much better camshafts for that than the ZZ4....... Take a look at the dyno graphs out there otherwise if you don't like the example I provided and you will see the LT4 HC walking all over the ZZ4 even with low rpm torque output.........The LT4 HC is a very mild running cam in a 383. Whoever thinks this cam is big hasn't played to much with a SBC.........

I am not recommending the OP go run out and get the LT4 HC for his build but it's not a wild top fueler cam. It's a mild performance cam with halfways decent torque output

Last edited: