Reasonal place to put this i think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
So I'm trying to install a cb unit in my truck where would the most convenient spot to mount the antenna and where to hide the cable wire? Thinking about a fender mount but I don't know what hole through the fire wall I should fish it through. Any help or ideas is better the what I got lmao, It's a 97 k1500
Thank you

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I mounted my antenna in the rear bumper, cable runs into the driver door sill and through the floor to run along the frame.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm trying to install a cb unit in my truck where would the most convenient spot to mount the antenna and where to hide the cable wire? Thinking about a fender mount but I don't know what hole through the fire wall I should fish it through. Any help or ideas is better the what I got lmao, It's a 97 k1500
Thank you
If you have an auto transmission, there is a place on the firewall that the clutch goes through, mine is a plastic plate. Easily drilled a hole though it. By the steering column.

Pull up your seats and carpet then do big S loops, you don't want to just coil it up. It won't work very well and I've heard the cable can heat up.

Another place lots of guys place the antenna is behind the cab, mounted to the box. It depends on how tall it is though, it needs to be able to radiate 360⁰ so it would have to be higher than the cab. And a single one looks goofy, if you go that route but two and just don't hook the second one up. They won't be far enough apart and can cancel each other out.

Lots of knowledge on the Expedition Portal forum on this stuff.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
If you have an auto transmission, there is a place on the firewall that the clutch goes through, mine is a plastic plate. Easily drilled a hole though it. By the steering column.

Pull up your seats and carpet then do big S loops, you don't want to just coil it up. It won't work very well and I've heard the cable can heat up.

Another place lots of guys place the antenna is behind the cab, mounted to the box. It depends on how tall it is though, it needs to be able to radiate 360⁰ so it would have to be higher than the cab. And a single one looks goofy, if you go that route but two and just don't hook the second one up. They won't be far enough apart and can cancel each other out.

Lots of knowledge on the Expedition Portal forum on this stuff.
It's a little 36' so I was thinking on top center, not sure yet but with everyone ideas lll find something thank you

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
yup!That's exactly where I put mine.However I used a magnetic mount antenna on the roof.Don't forget to tune the antenna.

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
10' of Cable ain't enough if should be 15' 6" to get the swr's correct if you want it to reach past the bumper you should run 102" whip with mount and such will work out to 110". You can run two antanas but realistically they should be 8' apart also if you do cables should be same length.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
yup!That's exactly where I put mine.However I used a magnetic mount antenna on the roof.Don't forget to tune the antenna.
Thanks to lovely Amazon the set screw on the antenna was stripped out, I'm transmiting n receiving good, but I'm gonna go to the truck stop tomorrow n look at there antenna selection