Rear main seal replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

demetrio bazan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my dad's friend took a look in the ole' 350 and said it was the rear main seal. Wondering how hard is it to change it myself and how long it will take

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have 2 options, drop the tranny, or pull the engine. Changing the seal only takes about 5 minutes. 10 hours in and out for a 5 minute fix. Kinda sucks, but there is no quick way. Make sure it is the seal and not the oil pan gasket. Last year I finally decided to drop the tranny to fix my rear seal leak. About 30 minutes into it I could tell it wasn't the seal, but the oil pan. I changed direction and pulled the engine. Then, "while I was in there," I did a full rebuild on the engine.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year I finally decided to drop the tranny to fix my rear seal leak. About 30 minutes into it I could tell it wasn't the seal, but the oil pan. I changed direction and pulled the engine. Then, "while I was in there," I did a full rebuild on the engine.

Ah, yes, the dreaded "while I was in there" (AKA "might as well") disease, know it well!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, my engine was running hot and losing some coolant - had a couple blown head gaskets - $7,000 later... STILL GOING!

Thumper1311

Reaction score
For conversations sake, will the pan come off with the engine just chillin in the engine bay? Or does it require an engine hoist? I dont remember if the cross member comes into play...but just about ever seal is leaking on my truck. Unfortunately i have no budget for "might as wells" right now lol

demetrio bazan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have 2 options, drop the tranny, or pull the engine. Changing the seal only takes about 5 minutes. 10 hours in and out for a 5 minute fix. Kinda sucks, but there is no quick way. Make sure it is the seal and not the oil pan gasket. Last year I finally decided to drop the tranny to fix my rear seal leak. About 30 minutes into it I could tell it wasn't the seal, but the oil pan. I changed direction and pulled the engine. Then, "while I was in there," I did a full rebuild on the engine.
We're 99.9% sure its the rear main seal because it drips right where the bellhousing is and he took a look at it

demetrio bazan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For conversations sake, will the pan come off with the engine just chillin in the engine bay? Or does it require an engine hoist? I dont remember if the cross member comes into play...but just about ever seal is leaking on my truck. Unfortunately i have no budget for "might as wells" right now lol
Think you'll have to remove the engine

demetrio bazan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, my engine was running hot and losing some coolant - had a couple blown head gaskets - $7,000 later... STILL GOING!
Nice, for overheating issues run it Nascar style without a thermostat, mines clogged up, removed it and haven't had enough time to install a new one, been running like that for around 36,000 miles