Rear fogs, but $&%F$! cargo lamp switch!!!! WTF?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Autocorrect got me I meant source haha but you should have a switched source for your cargo light only (perhaps the brown wire)

Sent from my 3/4 ton iPhone
Yeah, I'm going to have to keep messing around. I actually tried splicing each of the 4 wires to see if any of the others would work the way I wanted. The orange is always hot and none of the others do anything that would be beneficial. It is clear that the blue/white feed is the correct one, but it's tied in with the interior lights. I think what I may do is open up my cargo light housing and take the white wire(156 in diagram) and convert it to a ground. I don't see any initially ill effects. That should allow the switch to operate completely autonomously.
You must be registered for see images attach

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I was right. I just clipped that white wire. circuit 156 pin "A" in the cargo light lamp housing. I made a little jumper wire to ground out. Now the cargo switch turns the cargo light(as well as my added LED lights) on and off with the switch and is unaffected by whether or not the interior lights are on.

I put a little cap on the end going into the truck just in cause that would cause any issues. The other end coming off of the harness I grounded, so it won't matter if that end grounds or not.

Last edited:

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Appears that everything else functions as it should. Looks like that circuit was probably in place to prevent accidentally leaving the light on.
Here is a pic of the light.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want these so bad for tailgate... I mean... Helping me, and others, see.

What's the amp draw on these?

Chevy1500

Reaction score
I have a similar setup on my truck. Mine is a 36" bar mounted above my hitch (3"body lift). I am long past keeping things OEM so mine is switched through a Federal Signal 6 switch box.

attachment.php

What's the amp draw on these?

Mine is 180Watts which equates to only about 14 Amps. (Amps = Watts / Volts) And his are likely 18W lights, so combined you're only looking at around 3 Amps.

--KG

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, I believe these are 3 amps.

That is a sweet light bar. I would love to do that, but without a lift, my hitch is right up against my bumper. I didn't want any lights hanging lower than the lowest part of my hitch.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen some guys mount light bars in the front of their trucks, but behind the grill. I may consider doing this in the future if I can find one that will fit. Guess I need to peruse the junk yards for a fog switch since I'm not going to pay $50 for one.

camoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, looks like the cargo lamp switch isn't going to work like I had hoped. What an idiotic switch. Would love to just get a stock fog light switch in a vertical bezel, but it seems that they go for about $30-$50 on here. Too rich for my blood. If anyone has one and wants to sell it for around $15 shipped, let me know.

I'll have to explore where on my dash I want it, but looking like I'll use the top blank spot and considering putting in this switch.

Where is this switch from? Link please!