Rear End Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I just put my 33s on my stock '97 Chevy 1500. And driving back after having them put on I noticed the rear end was shaking and vibrating a lot more than it did before. So I stopped to check it out and the driver side brake drum was REALLY hot, but the passenger side was fine. Before I put the tires on I took off the drum to make sure everything looked fine and there was enough pad left, but the drum was old and really rusted. So my question is what can be causing this bad vibration. My first thought was a locked up brakes and causing it to catch and vibrate. But it seems to only happening when I am going 60 mph+. So my next thought is a rear wheel bearing? Wondering what you guys think it would be:confused:

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
could be a broken belt in the tire i just had that happen to me with my winter 33's they were fine one day next day felt the vibration and when i pulled into get gas a guy came in behind me saying my rear tire was wobbling sure enuff a belt let go

towman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i wonder if they put the parking brake on while working on it and it hanging up a little, that will make it shake and make the drum hot, a tire will not make the drum hot

1ugly88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
also check to see how tight they torqued the lug nuts. spec is 140 but my 88 would vibrate like a ******* like that. re torqued em at 120 and it got better, at 100 there was nothing. other than that i say bad tire balance

towman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
everyone is missing the fact about the brake drum being really hot, tire balance can not cause that

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
he did say he took the drum off and it all looked good i would say if the drum came off it wasnt hung up on the brakes and it went back on plus he gets the vibration at around 60 mph,i would say see if theres play up and down in the axel that will tell if the bearing is worn also check u joints p,lus it started after the tires were put on so that imo is something with the tire or rim but i may be wrong