Rear end lost bearing swapped 98 Yukon turns out bigger brakes!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leakers

Reaction score
I figured something like that. I wish those 6.5 weren't so weak. I would rather have a obs Chevy than my powerstroke powerjoke with this terrible ttb Dana 50
Both my trucks are 1997 lol.
I'm not sure how much longer I will keep this truck . I really want a 2500 and I can't turn it into one

It's not very hard nor that expensive to build a reliable long lasting 300hp 6.5 turbo, with modern components and technology.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not very hard nor that expensive to build a reliable long lasting 300hp 6.5 turbo, with modern components and technology.
I've heard many stories of the cranks just snapping. A stock 6.5 is a sad motor. A gas vortec is cheaper easier and more hp. But I would buy one if the price was good. Around here in northern Arizona you can't find deals like you can in Seattle. I got this truck for 600 in Washington not running. They put a fuel pump in it but when they put the gas tank back in they pinched the rubber return line they also never remove the filler neck when they drop the gas tank so they've been to truck bed but the guy had tried to start the truck so many times he actually broke the battery wires but he didn't know they were broken. The truck had a small leak over the column from the windshield so he thought that that was the problem wrong with the trucks he had put another steering column in it and it still wouldn't run so he pretty much gave up .he was pretty upset when I drove it out of there.
I have a new problem. The rear brakes lock up way too soon like others have mentioned.
I do not see a brake proportioning valve anywhere on this truck like I would traditionally see is it built into the ABS or something

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i did that same rear end swap. i ended up needing most of the e-brake stuff to do it correctly maybe because i have a c1500 it had small brakes.
i have to be almost auto crossing to lock the rears up,like i have to be trying to do it. i did it once checking the rear brake function.
guys if you are locking up the rears often then it may be your driving habits that are the problem......

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i did that same rear end swap. i ended up needing most of the e-brake stuff to do it correctly maybe because i have a c1500 it had small brakes.
i have to be almost auto crossing to lock the rears up,like i have to be trying to do it. i did it once checking the rear brake function.
guys if you are locking up the rears often then it may be your driving habits that are the problem......
They definitely lock up prematurely but I don't have to push very hard on the e-brake to set the parking brake so my shoes might be out too much if I back off the shoes a little bit then it might be fine I did not have to switch out anything at all however installing the e-brake cables was a major pain in the butt using several pairs of vice grips to try and hold the spring back. I even tried to undo the e-brake cable at the front of the truck but that didn't make any difference anyway I don't know what a 2 wheel drive truck has for a master cylinder but I'm sure that it could be different. My truck also has has abs and the z71 package. My front rotors are slotted. They suck. These trucks are know to have poor brakes. That's why they are poorly ratedon tow weight. My truck even says in the glove box you can't install a slide in camper

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i got my GU6 G80 5 lug from a 98 surburban and i had a problem with the rears being over adjusted also.my reg cab short box c1500 2wd is 2 tons thats alot of truck to stop and that is the lightest v8 full size truck there was,add 4wd extend cab = more weight and it just gets harder to stop.i thought about doing a rear disc brake upgrade.
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/630...EoESMq-ygPPB0S8g7p61q0Pt8fIzemUhoCIPwQAvD_BwE

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
i got my GU6 G80 5 lug from a 98 surburban and i had a problem with the rears being over adjusted also.my reg cab short box c1500 2wd is 2 tons thats alot of truck to stop and that is the lightest v8 full size truck there was,add 4wd extend cab = more weight and it just gets harder to stop.i thought about doing a rear disc brake upgrade.
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/630...EoESMq-ygPPB0S8g7p61q0Pt8fIzemUhoCIPwQAvD_BwE

That kits says it doesn't fit truck frames.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the gt4 g80. Or whatever the code is for 373 gears a Eaton
The drums are 11 inch and the hardware is set up different inside the drums . It's upside down from the 10 inch drum set up on the adjuster