rear disc conversion kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been researching how to convert from drums to discs and I came across this kit - http://www.cutthroat4x4.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=56 - I know it says its for a 14bolt FF, where mine is the SF, but would it still fit? I am assuming it will work with 6lug as well, since I believe the 10bolts were 5lugs. Has anyone used these brackets before?

I have to pull my backing plates off my drums to replace for the parking brake, so figured it would be easier to swap to discs. I understands discs a lot better then drums. I figured I would just use rotors and pads from a 88 3/4ton chevy (as it says), then use El Dorado calipers and fab up my own parking brake cable holder.

Also I have found a few threads but they bounced around a lot from being on topic to off topic, they were hard to follow.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I have been researching how to convert from drums to discs and I came across this kit - http://www.cutthroat4x4.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=56 - I know it says its for a 14bolt FF, where mine is the SF, but would it still fit? I am assuming it will work with 6lug as well, since I believe the 10bolts were 5lugs. Has anyone used these brackets before?

I have to pull my backing plates off my drums to replace for the parking brake, so figured it would be easier to swap to discs. I understands discs a lot better then drums. I figured I would just use rotors and pads from a 88 3/4ton chevy (as it says), then use El Dorado calipers and fab up my own parking brake cable holder.

Also I have found a few threads but they bounced around a lot from being on topic to off topic, they were hard to follow.
that will not directly fit your axle but can be cut to slip onto your axle and then welded in place, i don't know of anyone who makes a bracket for the 9.5.

the only problem i see is if you need 6 lug then the rotors will be an issue as that caliper mount will hold the caliper out too far as the 6 lug rotor is smaller so the pads and caliper will not ride right on the smaller rotor.

disk calipers need more fluid flow to operate right vs the little wheel cylinders so you should swap your master to one from a 3500hd with rear disk to have the bigger piston

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that will not directly fit your axle but can be cut to slip onto your axle and then welded in place, i don't know of anyone who makes a bracket for the 9.5.

the only problem i see is if you need 6 lug then the rotors will be an issue as that caliper mount will hold the caliper out too far as the 6 lug rotor is smaller so the pads and caliper will not ride right on the smaller rotor.

disk calipers need more fluid flow to operate right vs the little wheel cylinders so you should swap your master to one from a 3500hd with rear disk to have the bigger piston

Oh..... I wonder how other people with the 9.5 did their disc conversions. Atleast I am sure someone has done it. If I were to use these brackets are you saying the caliper would be too far in from the rotor - so I would somehow need to put spacers in so it would line up with the rotor, right ?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Oh..... I wonder how other people with the 9.5 did their disc conversions. Atleast I am sure someone has done it. If I were to use these brackets are you saying the caliper would be too far in from the rotor - so I would somehow need to put spacers in so it would line up with the rotor, right ?

you are talking a 6 lug rotor which is a smaller diameter than the 8 lug 3/4 ton rotors that the brackets are made for, the calipers will be mounted too high with those brackets so the caliper and pad will not be riding in the right spot on the rotor

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you are talking a 6 lug rotor which is a smaller diameter than the 8 lug 3/4 ton rotors that the brackets are made for, the calipers will be mounted too high with those brackets so the caliper and pad will not be riding in the right spot on the rotor

Oh, I understand now. So If I just cut the brackets so the caliper sits lower(like you said) and weld them to the axle tube then those brackets in theory would work. I believe I can still use chevy 6lug front rotors, and el dorado calipers to keep the parking brake.