Rear axle upgrade for weak gov-loc posi thats no good

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GREY99HOE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know several of you had a gov-loc posi unit fail and bust the whole rear out...

Simply get a posi carrier out of a 1991-1996 Caprice Roadmaster Fleetwood RWD car

and the posi unit in them is the auburn type with clutches and springs like the old camaro's were

And a hint look at every wagon 91-96 you can find...inside the rear tailgate...the rpo codes are on the label..right side by taillight..

90% of wagons have posi rear in them....this is a direct bolt on swap...i have one in my 94 truck one in my 99 HOE and they are the best upgrade you can do

same spline...and all 8.5 carriers are the same..so the 2.73 gear or 308 gear in the car...will accept the 3.42 3.73 4.10 gear from truck..same thing..

1991 -1996 caprice roadmaster...rear end posi unit..

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I believe the original owner of my truck already grenaded the g80. It's only a matter of time before the new one blows.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gonna have to keep this in mind. Do you have to run special diff fluid with it (like the Ford limited slip ones do)