Random cylinder msifire!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An old trick to test for a burned exhaust valve: Cut a 6"x 6" square of thin flat newspaper and place it on the tail pipe with the motor running. If the paper stays away from the tail pipe the exhaust valves are fine. If the paper intermittently sucks back and forth off the end of the tail pipe there's a burned exhaust valve

Neat trick...thanks for sharing!

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Once its started in the morning it misses like a SOB till it warms up and i flog it one good time. After that it purrs like a kitten. Im going to pull the valve cover to see if i can see a valve hanging up and look for anything outa the ordnairy.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
rough idle, fouled plug, misfire due to fouled plug, low compression...

An old trick to test for a burned exhaust valve: Cut a 6"x 6" square of thin flat newspaper and place it on the tail pipe with the motor running. If the paper stays away from the tail pipe the exhaust valves are fine. If the paper intermittently sucks back and forth off the end of the tail pipe there's a burned exhaust valve

We called it the dollar trick, i just pulled a dollar out of my wallet and tested for the same thing.

Fast---It could be a bad head gasket. Also check your PCV stuff, mine started missing really bad and running rough, the main cause was one of the pcv rubber boots going to the intake was cracked in half, replaced for 5 bux and it runs much better now. With the pcv valve, hoses, etc. inspect each individual part and make sure there aren't any air leaks.

JayBo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've tried that trick before
I'll give it another go when it stops raining and see.

My plug looks WAAAAAAAAAy worse than the one posted above.

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think i found my miss, the gasket in the air intake tube that slips down on the TB seem to not be sealing. I can wiggle the Hat or what ever its called and can hear the air sucking. Once it warms up it runs like a top, makes sense. Anyone know what that gasket or o-ring is listed as at the parts store?

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
I think i found my miss, the gasket in the air intake tube that slips down on the TB seem to not be sealing. I can wiggle the Hat or what ever its called and can hear the air sucking. Once it warms up it runs like a top, makes sense. Anyone know what that gasket or o-ring is listed as at the parts store?

i hope thats it.. but i dont see that causing your misfire... seems like that would be superficial in the fact that the tb is still getting air, whether its through that bad seal, or through the intake tubing...