Radio and home link not keeping memory

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my home link won’t keep memory and my stock ratio won’t keep time. It keeps presets for stations but not my clock. Any ideas? It works great for a few months then one day it will decide to loose memory again. It’s just random when it does it. Any help would be great! TIA!!!

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM doesn’t have much for diagnostics on it, but maybe this will help:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It says radio battery on one of the wires. I’ve herd there is a battery in the factort head units. I’m not sure if this is false or not. But what stumps me is that when the radio acts up the home link acts up too. For the last week my clock and home link will not keep memory over night or even while I’m at work for 10 hours. Every time I turn my truck on my clock says 1:00 or 1:40.... so wierd...

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How old is the battery? Sometimes when a battery is getting near end of life it is acting more like a giant capacitor than a battery and if the interval between the vehicle being run is longer than usual like an extra day or even a very cold night, the battery gets lower than usual . This might cause the "memory" lines to go low enough to cause those symptoms, this also might be true if the fuse socket is oxidized and the connection a bit bad there. (this recently happened to me). I would clean the fuses and sockets and if that doesn't fix it, check battery, grounds etc. Let us know if you find it.

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How old is the battery? Sometimes when a battery is getting near end of life it is acting more like a giant capacitor than a battery and if the interval between the vehicle being run is longer than usual like an extra day or even a very cold night, the battery gets lower than usual . This might cause the "memory" lines to go low enough to cause those symptoms, this also might be true if the fuse socket is oxidized and the connection a bit bad there. (this recently happened to me). I would clean the fuses and sockets and if that doesn't fix it, check battery, grounds etc. Let us know if you find it.
Thanks I will give that a Try!

ConLinTech

Reaction score
Just thought I might bring this up: IIRC isn't there a fuse in the dash fusebox labelled "Radio" that supplies power to the radio to keep the clock powered? Or am I missing something?

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is. But it’s random when it decides not to work. Like right now I’m on a week and a half of it keeping time. But tomorrow when I go to work it may not keep time. It’s random...

ConLinTech

Reaction score
Well that's extremely strange... I might recommend checking the resistance and continuity between the wires from the fuse to the radio, and from the main power to the fuse (disconnect battery first). If all seems fine, poke around inside the head unit, maybe dust it out, and look for anything that seems unusual, including (but not limited to), burn marks, blown or bad capacitors, or anything suspicious really.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a crown vic in which one of the first symptoms of corroded battery terminals was the radio randomly losing its time/presets.

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was poking around today and I went to check the radio fuse and it came out in 2 pieces.... so I will see if a new one makes a difference.