Rack and pinion conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone done it? I bought my truck new and all my steering parts have been replaced twice and need to be done again. My ford truck and my wife's durango handles/steers better than my 97 k1500 did new. And they both have 150k plus on them with rack and pinion

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
You could hang it off the crossmember pretty easily. I don't think mounting would be the issue

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure but if it will steer as good as our other two vehicles it will make a 100% difference having rack and pinion

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Steering geometry is very important. If inclined, one can check out Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by Milliken and Milliken.

The book is distributed by SAE international, about a hundred bucks, or perhaps you can find a .PDF for much less.

It is not wise to blindly blame and try to re-invent the wheel.

As far as parts needing to be replaced for the 3rd time, I know of several vehicles that have seen 400,000+ kms with original ball joints and tie rods, although they were purchased new and greased religiously with a thin premium grease.

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know it's an old thread but I'm thinking of doing this. A replacement rack from an 06 Chevy/GMC, I'd weld bolts to the cross member, possibly notch the horn on front of the cross member. My question is the pump,..replace it? Will my stock one work? Will the 06 stock one bolt on?