Quick ratio steering box upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone swap to one of these vs original one? Thoughts? Vendor that's good?

RollTide4x4

Reaction score
AGR I think are the only ones who sell the 12:1 steering box new. Others from the auto parts stores are reman

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I figure the AGR is in the plans for my '94 C1500. Pretty sure the 170K+ mile box is worn on the '94 C2500LD, so I'll be swapping the 100K mile box over to it..nice and tight.. and get the badass AGR box for .. jeezus I love making work for myself.

Richard

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I have a Q.R. steering box in my '98.
Local rebuilder did it up for me. Told him I wanted about 3/4 to 1 whole turn taken out. He recommended the 3/4. He warned me that some people found that that amount made the truck twitchy at speed.
Wow! Huge dif! Took it from driving like a truck to handling like a sports car! I don't find it twitchy at all. Feels more positive to the steering input.
When I can afford it, my '97 is getting a box done up the same way.
Same price as a reman unit from the same guy.

Seems to me that AGR also recommend their steering pump to go with their Q.R. box. IIRC that pump uses a higher pressure.

Quote from attached article.

"AGR also sells matching power steering (P.S.) pumps that have been put through the same steps the gearboxes received. Also, the company performs custom porting to ensure strong fluid flow, while providing a long and cool life. The bearings are custom-sized for maximum performance at any rpm, and each pump is 100-percent dyno-checked for pressure, response, and flow at varying speeds."

Read more: http://www.sporttruck.com/projectbu...evy_truck_performance_steering/#ixzz2zq3tNS9Q

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
dunno fi mentioned but i thought the 96+ trucks used a slightly tighter steering ratio as well as the 454 ss trucks had an entirely different quicker ratio.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When it is box time for me -> http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/ Variety of options, local company, good history, someone on here has used them as well.

Have one on our 01 gmt 800 but never a 400 yet. +300k on 2 of my trucks w/ original steering boxes, I bet they see an upgrade some day.

I know 98 and newer has tighter ratio for sure not sure of 96+

source unknown

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Negatory on the tighter ratio in a GMT400 just because it's 98-up. What 98-up does have is EVO, electronically variable orifice steering, where the amount of pump assist varies depending on vehicle speed. At low speeds like parking maneuvering you get more assist. At high speeds, less assist.

Richard

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My '97 has an unplugged EVO system. One of the better things I've done to improve the handling. Freaky, scary, when they malfunction at speed.
The '98's has had it dis-abled, too.