Question about the Parking Brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the process of doing a rear end swap.

The rearend that I got to go in it works but the Parking brake cables have been cut. So I have to use the cable off the old rearend.

I can see where this contraption is under the cab on the drivers side where it goes from 1 cable to two cables. Is this where I split it at or is there another spot where it should be split?

Truck Information:
Year: 1992
Make: GMC
Model: Sierra C1500 (Extended Cab)
Trim level: Sierra (Auto windows, auto locks, A/C, etc)
Tire condition: Fair
Tire size: 31x10.5/R15
Engine: 350 5.7 V8
Transmission: 700 R4
4WD?: No

Countryboy38

Reaction score
I've only messed with my parking brake when I did my body lift an if I remember correctly along the driver side frame you will see the parking brakes an the cables connect an I think there's a nut on there you can loosen up to get some slack in the parking brake so U can pull it apart. That's if I remeber right I could be wrong though.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's correct
The part coming out from the cab to the metal casing remains

You loosen that annoying God forsaken crap nut and slide the cable up toward the front to release it
Then you connect the new cables via that metal casing
To put the cables in the backig plate and connecting it to the parking brake assembly in the drums was such a pain
I almost dropped $$ on the disk conversion

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's correct
The part coming out from the cab to the metal casing remains

You loosen that annoying God forsaken crap nut and slide the cable up toward the front to release it
Then you connect the new cables via that metal casing
To put the cables in the backig plate and connecting it to the parking brake assembly in the drums was such a pain
I almost dropped $$ on the disk conversion

I couldn't figure it out.

I ended up taking both hubs apart and undoing it from inside the brake assembly.
Now hows to best way to reconnect the Parking brake cable back to the brake assembly?

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a hard time with that
The parking brake adjuster in there has a arm that the cable clips into
It is very hard to re connect with the spring tension on it

I (not saying it's the best way) pulled the cable as far as I could and used vise grips to keep it from retracting then used the slack to clip it in

It was a lot of trial and error
That adjuster up under the driver side was the best place for me to do it

And parts stores carry that

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got it fixed now. Hopefully I got every last rotten spring back in the hubs is the correct spots.

After undoing the nut to almost to the end of the threads, It made the passenger side easier.
The drivers side was really easy once I separated the parking brake cable by pulling most of the slack out of the adjuster and undoing it where the cab part meets the underbody part.