Water Leak Parking Brake Grommet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highriseZ71

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 94 GMC K1500. Noticed a water leak recently in the drivers side floorboard. I pulled the door panel off and carpet back and applied copious amounts of water to the cab. Part of the leak was the inner door seal. Its 30 years old and needed replacing. That part is solved. It was also leaking from two additional places: the front corner down the firewall and the grommet around the parking brake cable.

At first I thought the the two were connected, but when I put the water hose directly into the cowl the water would ONLY leak down the inner firewall.. the parking brake grommet stayed dry. After disassembling and making sure the cowl and the drain on the side were clear of debris I cleaned the entire inner cowl out scraped the joint clean and applied seam sealer. This stopped the inner firewall leak.

I am still getting water leaking around the grommet when I spray the cab with water. It takes 20-30 seconds for it to appear. I can't see what's on the other side of the grommet on the firewall.

Any ideas on what could be happening? Or does someone have a picture of what this looks like on the back side of the firewall where the PB Cable runs through and out under the truck?

monsterwake

Reaction score
I am having this same issue. Any time I spray the cab I get water on the driver side. I cannot seem to find where it is getting in at.

monsterwake

Reaction score
I ended up just globbing a bunch of sealer around that gromet. I could not get it to stop. I know that isn't the best way but it worked.