Question about overhead center consoles....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jshawag12

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm thinking of buying one from noremac and just had a question about it which was asked in another thread but never answered...

Anyway, I had a question about the overhead consoles. I've really thought about doing this, but I really don't want to cut the headliner. Is it possible to mount one basically ontop of the headliner, and drill through the headliner to mount it. I wasn't sure if that would work or not. I'm not sure I'd do it if I had to cut the headliner.

anyone that has mounted one did you cut it out or can you just mount it on the headliner? pictures would be nice....is it easier to do for an extended cab?

jaemitch

Reaction score
never mounted one but from experience of doing overhead screens the headliner don necessarily have to be cut but the headliner alone wont support the weight ull have to pull the headliner down mount some wood to support the weight to the ceiling and screw it through the headliner into the wood. hope this helps.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
either way the headliner ends up with holes and will look like crap if you ever take the console out. So why not just cut it? Plus I think the reason to cut it is for the wires for the lights but I could be mistaken.

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
the front mounts with a screw, the back is two tabs that slide up into the roof support... most people cut the back two tabs off, and use self tapping screws in the rear most compartment, into the roof support.

easy mod, awesome to have the little bit more storage for random little stuff.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only cuts you have to make in the headliner shell are the cuts for the front screw and the cuts for the 2 rear mounting tabs.

All are small cuts and won't be seen as long as you take your time with the install. There was a how to thread in the interior thread
with pics but i can't find it as of yet.

Chad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have one in my single cab and i had to cut my headliner in the back and in the sheet metal. the way they mount in the back is just tabs that slide in the square holes in the roof, and one screw in the front.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah easy mod, and well worth it too, I don't like not having an overhead console.