Question about cam 94 c1500 350 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt sorrentino

350 TBI Fanatic
Reaction score
Howdy guys, meanwhile my truck is in the shop for a tranny custom rebuild i was wondering how i could tell what cams i have installed. Let me explain.

I hot this truck a year ago from my brother in law that had installed cams and subsequently cracked the old 350 he had on. He swapped engines and reinstalled the cams but since he had a mechanic do the job ( and my brother on law jas a very short memory) he doesnt remember what type of cams he installed. So my question is there is any way to tell what type of cams i have? Thanks in advance for any knowledge sharing as i learn new things everyday bout my 94 c1500 350TBI.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is any method you could determine what cam you have outside of pulling it, and checking stamped or etched identifying numbers. Maybe some cooked up old gearhead that can pinpoint the sound of an old 60's cam from a mile away - but yeah...

matt sorrentino

350 TBI Fanatic
Reaction score
I figured it be near impossible to determine but i thought id give it a shot asking.

I want to add headman long tube headers with a true dual set up straight pipe with x crossover and dumped right before the rear axle. I had some questions about what or how to tune the exhaust to the cams

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
The first generation 350 cubic inch/5.7 liter Chevrolet engine is an overhead valve pushrod engine. There is one cam in your motor, dude. With some neat old tools, you could take some measurements and degree readings to get an idea of the camshaft specifications, but the engine would have to be out of the truck and partially disassembled to do it.

matt sorrentino

350 TBI Fanatic
Reaction score
The first generation 350 cubic inch/5.7 liter Chevrolet engine is an overhead valve pushrod engine. There is one cam in your motor, dude. With some neat old tools, you could take some measurements and degree readings to get an idea of the camshaft specifications, but the engine would have to be out of the truck and partially disassembled to do it.
Understood i will loose the "s" when i refer to the cam lol thanks for the tech note, im wondering how much beneficial is a free flowing header back 2.5" exhaust with ththe x pipe no mufflers or cats

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can certainly measure the lift, the best way being with a dial indicator at the heads. Remove the valve cover, crank the engine slowly (best with a wrench on the crank pulley). Knowing how much lift you have compared to stock will give you a bit of an idea as to how wild the cam specs are. As was previously posted, if you have the engine out of the truck, a degree wheel on the crank pulley/harmonic balancer will give you more info.

matt sorrentino

350 TBI Fanatic
Reaction score
You can certainly measure the lift, the best way being with a dial indicator at the heads. Remove the valve cover, crank the engine slowly (best with a wrench on the crank pulley). Knowing how much lift you have compared to stock will give you a bit of an idea as to how wild the cam specs are. As was previously posted, if you have the engine out of the truck, a degree wheel on the crank pulley/harmonic balancer will give you more info.
Thanks for the info i really appreciate!