quesion on vortec 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2tone95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just some quick/perhaps dumb questions on a vortec 5.7 engine the thing is my buddie is going to sell me the engine but i wana make sure its a 5.7 not a 5.0
1st how would i know its a vortec 5.7 or 5.0... 8th digit on vin? heads casting number? im saying just in case it dont have the sticker on the air cleaner plastic or sticker on top of the radiator plastic also what are the better vortec heads i believe the engine is of a 97suburban.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Back of block, on the transmissive bellhousing area, will have 5.0L or 5.7L stamped into it.

Vortec heads are Vortec heads, neither one is better, that was a rumor started ages ago, you want casting number 906 or 062.

2tone95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
906 or 062 heads ok and well ima pull out the motor so im sure ill c it stammped in back of the block... also plan to overhaul this engine and add performance before going into my truck so any suggestions on what i should do?? finally ima have a full 98 conversion oh yeah :)

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
906 or 062 heads ok and well ima pull out the motor so im sure ill c it stammped in back of the block... also plan to overhaul this engine and add performance before going into my truck so any suggestions on what i should do?? finally ima have a full 98 conversion oh yeah :)

first off, are you going TBI, Vortec or Carb?

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
vortec from the sounds of things.... Id swap the intake mani and fuel injection from the start and then you have MUCH more room to play when you want power

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
vortec from the sounds of things.... Id swap the intake mani and fuel injection from the start and then you have MUCH more room to play when you want power

x2, Vortec EFI, and a nice MILD torque cam or some 1.6:1 roller rockers, would be an AWESOME upgrade.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back of block, on the transmissive bellhousing area, will have 5.0L or 5.7L stamped into it.

Vortec heads are Vortec heads, neither one is better, that was a rumor started ages ago, you want casting number 906 or 062.

bingo, you can also look at the donor truck VIN, if youre certain that the engines haven't been swapped. the vin will show 'R' for 5.7L

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
bingo, you can also look at the donor truck VIN, if youre certain that the engines haven't been swapped. the vin will show 'R' for 5.7L

thats another way.

Should have added, make sure the head casting number is 062 or 906, 305 Vortec heads are not as great as the 350 ones, not sure of the casting number of them.

2tone95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well im going to vortec im taking the tbi 305 i have out i already swapped out the 98trans awhile back ok another thing im looking into getting this motor tunned with laptop from the local tuner the thing is it has to be 98+ so do i need another computer?

2tone95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
and ill check the vin for the R im pretty sure its oem engine since it was a family vehicle DD.