Putting a Caprice engine (L05-7) into a 92 g30 van (has L80e trans)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I first started messing with these a few places sold MAP adjusters, even dual MAP adjusters. Concept is pretty simple, but can be effective in making global fuel changes to help the ECM compensate for changes to vacuum and fuel demands. The Jeep 4.0L guys have a similar issue to this day, yet run cams and even strokers.

Here is some basic TBI setup information.

Danboquist

Reaction score
if the intake bolts up, should be able to get it to start, run and drive. The 383 will actually make a slightly larger cam tamer than the equivalent cam in a 350. It is all a balance and unfortunately there is no magic bullet to say, do A, B, C, D, skip E, change F and it will work.
I appreciate that. I guess what I am trying to do is to weigh the potential (critical) problems that I may be forced to address vs the “value” of the change. Of course “value” is subjective and based on circumstances.
Risk is ok but should be calculated. AmIRite?

A third option would be to buy a used 5.7 from a G30 (flat tappet already broken in) for $1000 and just slap that in there and be done with it for a while.

Decisions, decisions..

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He didn’t say, but I googled it and it seems the answer is balance. The weights that are welded on the flex plate..
Nope - the 383 requires a balancer from a 400, the flex plate, if it's from a later 350 (like a 1 piece seal crank) the weighted flex plate is used. I wouldn't use a 2 piece seal crank anyway. See the 2nd note.
You must be registered for see images attach

Danboquist

Reaction score
Nope - the 383 requires a balancer from a 400, the flex plate, if it's from a later 350 (like a 1 piece seal crank) the weighted flex plate is used. I wouldn't use a 2 piece seal crank anyway. See the 2nd note.
Cool. They said that they provide the balancer. A flexplate change is doable.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. Roller lifters need a different cam profile than a flat-tappet lifter. The roller cam profile "looks" more radical, even if the actual lifter motion is about the same.
Yeah, after I posted that, I realized the flat tappet cam lobes are ground on an angle to make the lifters rotate, right? The roller lifters don't because of the link bars or dog bones (one would hope to hell they don't, ha ha)

Danboquist

Reaction score
When I first started messing with these a few places sold MAP adjusters, even dual MAP adjusters. Concept is pretty simple, but can be effective in making global fuel changes to help the ECM compensate for changes to vacuum and fuel demands. The Jeep 4.0L guys have a similar issue to this day, yet run cams and even strokers.

Here is some basic TBI setup information.

This is awesome ALDL usb connector and windows to read the ECM settings and logs..

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I said is “read the settings and logs.” I am a software engineer. Logs turn me on.
I just wanted to make sure you understood this before you decide what route you wanna go. Yes, I love reading them but, the real fun is tuning them and realizing the improvements in performance and/or MPGs after modifying the .bin :33:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They do not all use an external balanced balancer. Mine has a neutral balanced balancer.